Yamaha receivers- need help choosing [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha receivers- need help choosing

Eric Z
07-02-2004, 05:49 AM
Hello- I am in the market for a new receiver (moving my older Sony in another room). I am looking at Yamahas and have a few questions I thought someone here can be of help!

First, this receiver will be powers Mirage FRX5 fronts and a Def Tech PS80 sub (used 60% HT and 40% music).

HTR5760 v. RXV650
*Is there a difference? I heard some say it depends on the store selling the product. The store I visit has both models and they're priced differently (HTR5760 about $50 more). I know they both have YPAO which I hear great things about.

Other Yamaha receivers
*I can get some of last years models at a great price- is it worth it to save the money? For example, the HTR5650 for $220 or the 5660 for $280.
*I can also get the 5740 for about $280 as well.

Is it worth saving money to go for the latter receivers mentioned, or should I spend another $165 for the HTR5760 or RXV650?

Thanks a bunch for your help- enjoy the holiday weekend!
Eric

Bryan
07-02-2004, 06:19 AM
To me it would depend upon if the YPAO feature is that important to you. If so, go for either the 650 or 5760. If the 650 is the same or less than the 5760 go with the 650. Little better build quality with a longer warranty. If YPAO is not that important go with last years model and save some money but try not to experience buyers remorse as that will only worsen your pain and lessen your wallet.

Eric Z
07-02-2004, 09:57 AM
Thanks for your input, Bryan. Some have told me to go with the more expensive just for the YPAO, but I'm not sure if it's worth it.

I wonder if there are other huge differences that I will regret.

Thanks again.

kpzbee
07-02-2004, 06:31 PM
I waited to get the new model because of the YPAO (RX-V750) feature. Reading on here convinced me that it was worth it. So far it is. I've used the YPAO several times & it does make a big difference IMO.