Looking for a new receiver!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new receiver!!

SegerFan83
07-01-2004, 03:29 PM
Ok, heres the deal. I have a H/k avr20II receiver that for one reason or another is having serious issues that have been repaired twice, but keeps going back to the same problem. Anyways, on to the issue at hand. I'm looking to buy a new receiver before the end of the summer. I would like to spend around 600 or lower, but would love to stay in the 400-500 range. I've been reading various posts and reviews all over the net and am overwhelmed at what I see. I don't know a whole lot about receivers, but I do know some. I know I would rather have a receiver more geared towards home theatre and not just a stereo receiver. However, I am an avid listener of music. I have a small apartment I share with three others, so this receiver along with my Pioneer floor speakers will be in my bedroom. There are several models I like from several companies, but I don't want to say anything, so I can get unbiased opionions on what I should purchase. I'm only 20 years old, but I would like to buy for the future, 6.1 would be nice. So tell me what you think!

SegerFan83
07-03-2004, 12:26 PM
Does anyone have any input on this??

Norm Strong
07-03-2004, 01:25 PM
Ok, heres the deal. I have a H/k avr20II receiver that for one reason or another is having serious issues that have been repaired twice, but keeps going back to the same problem. Anyways, on to the issue at hand. I'm looking to buy a new receiver before the end of the summer. I would like to spend around 600 or lower, but would love to stay in the 400-500 range. I've been reading various posts and reviews all over the net and am overwhelmed at what I see. I don't know a whole lot about receivers, but I do know some. I know I would rather have a receiver more geared towards home theatre and not just a stereo receiver. However, I am an avid listener of music. I have a small apartment I share with three others, so this receiver along with my Pioneer floor speakers will be in my bedroom. There are several models I like from several companies, but I don't want to say anything, so I can get unbiased opionions on what I should purchase. I'm only 20 years old, but I would like to buy for the future, 6.1 would be nice. So tell me what you think!

You might give us an idea of what your requirements are. With only the info you've given us, I would probably go with Consumer Reports advice and buy a Panasonic HE100. I'll bet you can get one for $200.

This Guy
07-03-2004, 02:43 PM
Look at the Yamaha, Denon, Harmon Kardon, Marantz, Onkyo, and even Pioneer Elite receivers in your price range. Yamaha has a model with the self calibration feature that may be very nice. You really can't go wrong with any of these manufacturers. Just look at the ones that have all the features you want.

-Joey

matt39
07-03-2004, 02:50 PM
I think a good choice in your budget would be the Yamaha 5760 at Best Buy. This receiver is about 500 everyday price and less on sale. It should be good for music and 6.1 and should be able to power almost any speaker system you might upgrade to. If you really like Pioneer, their VSX(?)-814K might be a good choice. If you decide on the Yamaha you might want to look for a 5660 as a discount floor model. Virtually the same as the 5760 and a lot less money. Incidentally Norm's Panasonic suggestion is a good one. They are a good company and give good value on the dollar. I think Circuit City carries them. Good luck and enjoy.

SegerFan83
07-03-2004, 03:20 PM
Well here are some of the models I have looked at so far: Yamaha htr-5790, htr-5760, htr-5750, Harmon/kardon avr230, onkyo 601 and yamaha rxv 1400. Are there any here that I should take off the list or is the clear cut choice? I just need to know what seperates these from each other and why I should choose one over the other. I just feel so overwhelmed. Thanks for the input so far.

matt39
07-03-2004, 04:09 PM
Hey Segerfan (great name choice!),

Welcome to the agony and ecstasy of choosing audio! All your candidates are good so you won't lose no matter what choice you make. Most important--take your time. Look around and listen to systems and your heart. Think about what features matter the most to you and listen to your friend's systems and talk to them about what they like and don't like about their systems and think about whether or not their concerns matter to you. Since you are looking to the future, I think you should try to get all, or as many as are available at this price, of the digital formats that are currently used so when you get your own place you can do pretty much what you want. Remember too, that anything you choose now can be upgraded in the future, so you don't have to be perfect the first time out! One day your new system will become your second system or you'll sell it to get something better. We've all been overwhelmed at first. Just relax a little and enjoy the ride. It's supposed to be fun so have some! Remember- features, price, heart. Good luck and good listening.