Best subwoofer in ~700 price range [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best subwoofer in ~700 price range

doe_73
12-02-2003, 10:23 PM
What is the best subwoofer in the 700 price range?

46minaudio
12-03-2003, 08:29 AM
Im not sure what you mean by best but look into SVS,HSU,Paradigm,and Adire.At $700 any of these companys will have a sub capable of good output at 20 to 25hz..

doe_73
12-03-2003, 09:36 AM
WHich one is the better buy and I listen to everything from Hip Hop to Rock n Roll being the music of choice. Which one is better for music because thats what i will be using it for. I have a 20X18ft room

doe_73
12-03-2003, 09:38 AM
Im also looking at eh paradigm ps 1200. any info is appreciated thanks doe

46minaudio
12-03-2003, 11:01 AM
Doe 73 any of those above will be fine choices.Look into the PW 2200 Paradigm..It will go lower than the 1200...
http://www.hsuresearch.com/
http://www.svsubwoofers.com/

Woochifer
12-03-2003, 11:49 AM
All of the above options are well regarded. I would also add the new $600 Adire Audio Daeva to your list to consider. It has the DIY favorite 15" Tempest driver and a 400 watt Class D amp. Its sealed box design makes it very comparable on paper to the $1,500 Paradigm Servo 15, and a somewhat different type of sound than the other suggestions, which are all ported designs. I have the 12" Adire Rava and at $400, it's a bargain for the performance that you get.

Whatever option you choose, I would also strongly suggest that you also buy a test disc with bass tones, a SPL meter, and probably a parametric equalizer like the Behringer Feedback Destroyer. Placement, measuring, and accounting for room acoustics are essentials with subwoofers. The test disc and SPL meter allow you to identify acoustics related problems like excessive boominess. Once you identify which frequencies cause problems, a parametric equalizer allows you to make adjustments that dial down the boominess and give you fuller and more balanced sounding bass. A properly tuned subwoofer can and will outperform an untuned subwoofer at any price. There are plenty of websites out there that can give you the basics of subwoofer equalization. The site that I use is linked below.

http://www.snapbug.ws/bfd.htm

This Guy
12-03-2003, 12:30 PM
you could get this.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=13710832&St=3986&St2=36049461&St3=-28592875&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=167009&DID=7

It would be very comparable to the Adire Daeva and Paradigm Servo-15. It will go a little bit louder and a little lower then the Daeva due to it's very powerful amp and more Xmax. The Paradigm will beat both of them in accuracy and low frequency extension. Also the amp that comes in the kit I reccomended has a built in Parametric Equalizer so you won't have to buy a $120 Behringer feedback destroyer to calm down those peeks in your room. Also as Wooch said, make sure you get a test disc and spl meter so you get it at the right volume and so that you know what frequencies to calm down on the parametric equalizer. All the other subs mentioned will be perfectly fine for the job, Im just giving you another option.

-Joey

doe_73
12-03-2003, 08:20 PM
Which SVS subs are better the cubes or cylinders and do they have a direct LFE input? It looks like I might go with one of these Doe

TinHere
12-03-2003, 08:57 PM
Which SVS subs are better the cubes or cylinders and do they have a direct LFE input? It looks like I might go with one of these Doe

They have LFE input. They designed the cylinders to allow for their goals to be met with a small footprint. Both designs achieved lofty goals at their price points. I just put an SVS 20-39 PCi in a 16x13x8 room and WOW. It blends smoothly with music and can shake the house for HT. I think either design will put a smile on your face.

Enjoy your choice.

Tarheel_
12-05-2003, 11:41 AM
also add to your list the Definitive Technology PF 15TL+. It retails for $699 and includes a huge 15" woofer, a 500 RMS internal amp and an LFE bypass input. I just purchased one used for $400 and it goes very very low. With music, its a bit slow, but for movies...hang on. Research them.

doe_73
12-05-2003, 11:02 PM
Does anyone have one of these. If you have i have a couple of questions. How hard was it to put together? How long does it take to break in? Am I better off buying this then a all ready made subwoofer? I couldnt find any reviews on it other then the ones on here so if you know of any reviews could you post the link. Thanks Doe