Spiderman 2 RULES!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Spiderman 2 RULES!!!

GrendelZ
06-30-2004, 08:03 PM
Has anyone else seen it yet?I cannot relay how well made this movie is,you really almost forget its a superhero movie.No other comicbook movie captures the essence the original story this well.Of course they take many liberties,but kudos to mr Rami for having the guts to develop the characters too such a degree.I hope and pray they can get the cast together for another go,they set it up perfectly for the Hobgoblin.The other area I havent mentioned is the CG effects,some of the best ever put to film.Spiderman seems to move more naturally and has more weight.They have really raised the bar for all summer action movies to come.

Bryan
07-01-2004, 05:28 AM
Excellent film! Will be interesting to see how they play out the other characters, especially after barely giving introductions to Wolf-man and The Lizard. My only thought after leaving the theater was "Is it 2007 yet?" :D Very well done movie!

Kam
07-01-2004, 11:02 AM
definitely was very enjoyable all the way around from story to acting to effects to everything. down to the smallest moments, nothing was thrown away. very fun movie. will prolly go see it again too, a rarity for me.

peace
k2

Lexmark3200
07-01-2004, 12:05 PM
Daaaamn.....wanted to see this on opening night and wound up not working out for the other friends I am going with so we are going on Saturday.....all I can say is this: after leaving the theater after watching the first Spidey, I was absolutely floored and thought it was the hands down best film of that summer....I remember leaving the theater and saying to my friend and cousin "Oh my god....cannot WAIT until the sequel...." It was like waiting for the most anticipated film in recent memory for me...and now it has arrived, and I havent seen it yet. Hearing all sorts of things regarding the hinting of villians to come, such as the Lizard and Hobgoblin....I remember hearing rumors about this sequel and that is was SUPPOSED to feature two villians, Doc Oc AND Lizard, but I guess it wound up being just Doc Oc.

At any rate, cant wait to see it this weekend, and also cant wait for the Daredevil sequel....wondering what villian will be featured in that one.....lets not forget, Bullseye AND Kingpin are both still alive...

Worf101
07-06-2004, 07:28 AM
I loved this film, not for it's action but for it's "in-action".

"SPOILERS"
\

1. I loved the fact that they showed how hard the "real life" of a super hero can be if you're not born rich like Bruce Wayne or are blessed with a great job like Clark Kent. When Aunt May gave Peter her last 20 bucks while they're foreclosing on her house... I almost wept. Why, because I was born poor, grew up poor and maybe poor again, nothing stings like the cruel whip of poverty.

2. I was most happy with the fact that this movie broke every SuperHero convention in the book!!!!! People see Spidey without his mask. He doesn't win the fight against the arch villain, he loses. His greatest enemy finds out his secret identity, his future enemy finds out his secret identity, his girlfriend finds out his secret identity (and guess what Lois Lane the world didn't end). And the biggest thrill of all, THE HERO GETS THE FRIGGIN GIRL!!!!! Well at least for the time being..... Wow, I love it.

3. Depth of character, the motivations are not "world domination" or wealth for wealth's sake but personal like they'd be for you or I. Doc Ock doesn't want to rule the world, he want's to help it He doesn't want to kill for the sake of killing, he wants ensure his wi'fes death was not in vain. He does NOT die a monster but a brilliant man. Whew... great character development for a villain.

Go see this movie, go see it again..... You'll love it.

Da Worfster
:D

Lexmark3200
07-06-2004, 10:25 AM
Okay, I didnt really care for Spider-Man 2 mainly for the reasons Worf DID care for it, believe that or not.....I felt Spidey was unmasked WAY too many times in this, and that ruined it for me and the seven people I saw this with; HOWEVER, in retrospect of this last statement, I was told by a friend that read the comics as a kid that it was common for him to be unmasked during certain sequences of the story, or some such statement like that....I was told that Raimi was following comic history and legend on this one.

When his mask comes off during the subway sequence after the big fight with Doc Oc (AWESOME fight sequence----VERY well done....they kick the **** out of each other perhaps only slightly worse than Spidey and Green Goblin did at the end of the first film), I thought it just.....well....."wasnt right".....when everyone on the subway car saw him for who he was....and that guy makes the comment "I have a son about his age...." I dont know, it just didnt do it for me. There is something about Parker with his mask on thats just so much cooler....

And the fact that Harry finds out Peter is Spidey when Oc brings his body to him......I dont know if I liked that....again, I was told, this is holding true to the comic, unless I was informed wrong.

As for Worf's statements regarding Spidey "losing" to the villian in this one.....I dont know if Spidey actually "lost" to the villian....I think they equally beat the crap out of each other, to be honest.....and the webslinger got to make the villian give himself up instead of actually "beating" him and killing him, as Spidey did with Green Goblin at the end of the first one. Well.....not really "give himself up".....it was more like make Oc see for himself that his evil arms needed to be stopped....personally, I would have liked to see more Spidey-kicking-Oc's-ass-and-forcing-him-into-submission fighting at the end, but again, from what I understand, this is going according to comic legend.....from what I have read, Doc Oc beats Spider Man on several occasions and during several fights throughout the course of the comics, only to have Spidey return and kick his tail in revenge.

Anyway, I'll tell you what else I did not like.....that sequence in the elevator, where Peter is talking to that yuppie scum and makes the comment that the Spider Man costume "rides up into his crotch" too much after the guy says "nice Spidey outfit". I see Raimi was trying to bring some comedy into the franchise, but this just didnt fit.....I want my comic hero films serious and dark, but I guess we have to leave it to the original Batman for that...

Otherwise, great set up for Harry becoming the HOBGOBLIN....although I thought it was pretty cheesy how they got Willem DaFoe to return for those "visions" Harry was having in his mind about his father talking to him and telling him to take revenge.....I thought that was pretty stupid and far-fetched.

So, we can expect Hobgoblin to be the next villian when part 3 hits the theaters some time in 2007, I believe....I wonder if there is going to be another villian attached to that one....cant wait to see Lizard (who is definitely going to be CGI).

At the end of the day, I came out of the theater, as did my friends, their wives and my girlfriend, thinking the original Spider Man was slightly better than this one.....as we said, "there was a MAGIC about the first one that we cant just put our fingers on....that this one did not have...."

But if the concensus in here is that Raimi has created awesome character development in this second installment, then I must be in the minority. I dont know; I dont think I cared for it as much as I did the first.

Worf101
07-06-2004, 10:39 AM
Anyway, I'll tell you what else I did not like.....that sequence in the elevator, where Peter is talking to that yuppie scum and makes the comment that the Spider Man costume "rides up into his crotch" too much after the guy says "nice Spidey outfit". I see Raimi was trying to bring some comedy into the franchise, but this just didnt fit.....I want my comic hero films serious and dark, but I guess we have to leave it to the original Batman for that....

You didn't get the Cameo, that guy's from the Showtime Series "***** As Folk". I don't watch but the Better Half does. She thought it was hilarious as did most of the audience. Lot's of humor in this one... I truly thought every joke hit the mark.

"This is really, really heavy."

Da Worfster :D

Lexmark3200
07-06-2004, 10:48 AM
You didn't get the Cameo, that guy's from the Showtime Series "***** As Folk". I don't watch but the Better Half does. She thought it was hilarious as did most of the audience. Lot's of humor in this one... I truly thought every joke hit the mark.

"This is really, really heavy."

Da Worfster :D

Worf,

Yes.....actually now that you said it, I forgot, that guy IS from ***** As Folk....MY better half watches it as well and picked out the reference to the "crotch".....you are right....forgot about that.

And that line at the end when he is holding up that piece of debris WAS funny...."this is really really heavy..."

But on whole, I just dont think the film.....well....moved along, or as I said, had that SPECIAL SOMETHING the first one did. Of course, as a fan of the film(s), I will buy the DVD when it comes out (I will probably hold out for the SUPERBIT release with DTS), but I dont think this had the magic of the original.

JSE
07-06-2004, 12:19 PM
I really liked the first Spiderman but this one just seemed to drag on and on. The fight scenes were really good and the scene where he had to stop the train was one of the best actions scenes I have seen in a long time but, the end just kept going. I though it was over when MJ was kissing her man and looking back at Spiderman on the crane. But nope, it just kept going and going. It kind of reminded me of the end of Return of the King. There were several running story lines to wrap up and they just seemed to make little mini-endings for each. It just did not flow? Granted, I really had to pee the last 20 minutes of Spiderman 2 so this might have added to my dislike of the ending. :D

All in all? It was a good movie but I think it could have been better.

BTW, the elevator scene was pretty funny. That guy did Talk Soup on E! for a while as well.

JSE