How to refoam speakers. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How to refoam speakers.

piece-it pete
06-30-2004, 10:17 AM
Hello everyone!

I just posted the above in the "How to" room.

Please read it and post comments, suggestions, and corrections here, or PM me!

Thanks!!

Pete

uncooked
06-30-2004, 10:29 AM
ive got a question. when your refoaming wouldnt it be better to glue the foam down to the basket first and then to the cone?

what i mean is say you glue it to the cone and let it dry, its a done deal no going back. now you have to centre it and glue it to the basket. but the thing is the basket under the gasket is only half an inch long or less "mines 3/8" of an inch. so theres not a whole lot of play there to get it to line up. wouldnt it make sense to glue it down the the basket becuase you know it has to go there and its pretty straight forward its all even all the way around. then glue it to the cone as you need for it to be centered.

piece-it pete
06-30-2004, 10:56 AM
uncooked,

I guess it would be OK, I'm just going off of the Newfoam instructions (from memory :) ) used on my first pair. I think the contact area is usually greater on the basket side, I think that's why they rec the cone side first. Finished appearance might play a factor as well.

The other discussions I've read on this topic have the same basic instructions.

This thread has some pics:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20643&highlight=refoaming

Pete

uncooked
06-30-2004, 11:33 AM
my woofers are very sensitive it is very hard to find the right spot, they rub if you move it even a millimeter any direction. right now the foam connected to cone is about 2 inches long on the bottom and then the basket is only attached with 3/8" of an inch. so maybe these woofers are just weird. im just thinking it will be easier to position if i do the basket first. then i can get it positioned just right.

piece-it pete
06-30-2004, 12:16 PM
uncooked,

That does sound unusual. What speakers are they?

Pete

pelly3s
06-30-2004, 06:34 PM
ok i do this for a living, first step is if you have all the stuff you need then you attacted to the cone first and then center it on the basket. a good tip so you don't have to cut off the dust over and shim it is to apply a small amount of DC voltage such as 9 volts or so to the speaker to raise the cone or lower it making centering much easier and just listen to it and if it sound like something is buzzing really loud its not centered. alway go to the cone first though, and make sure not to use too much glue when glueing to the basket or the surround may make a ticking sound. what makes it hard to center is when the maginet gap between the mag and the center pole is tight.

piece-it pete
07-01-2004, 05:09 AM
pelly,

Thanks for the advice. For a living?? You must be pretty good :) !

I'll post this into the how to. Do you have a source for small foam rings?

Pete

uncooked
07-01-2004, 11:55 AM
heres what the speakers look like pete, they look kinda messy here, but ive got the woofers all cleaned up and the speaker is in great shape now. and it sounds awsome from the short tests i have. i turned the bass all the way down and the treble up a bit. so i wouldnt put alot of strain on the woofers.

pelly3s
07-02-2004, 03:01 PM
the foams i work with all come from either the orginal factory or aftermarket places like Making Waves who is a wholesale distributor. you have to be a service center to get your hands on a lot of the stuff. at the shop we probably have 5,000 foams piled up and probably about the same in cones and other parts. i'm pretty good with it, i still have a long way to get as good as my boss is. it's just one of the jobs titles i have. my theory when i am working on a customer peice is to treat every one like it's my own. we may be looking to sell off bulk quantities of parts because we have so many.