Back to vinal [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Back to vinal

couchguy
06-30-2004, 08:07 AM
hey there I am thinking about buying a cheaper turntable to play some of my old LPs. I am looking at the fowlowing choices Stanton STR8-80SK, Stanton STR8-30B, Technics SLBD20D. I have a limited budget at this time. I just want to make sure if I do get one of these cheaper turntables will they ruin my LPs. In the future I will be upgrading.

mg196
07-08-2004, 09:04 PM
Based on reviews all over the internet (and this forum), I picked up a Gemini XL200. It sounds great and is super cheap ($79 INCLUDING s/h on eBay - BRAND NEW!). I am very pleased with it and will suit me fine until I choose to upgrade.

I am no expert, but I dont think it is the turntable itself that ruins records, but it's the cartridge you use. Read the reviews on this website to give you a good idea of what it is all about.

I have two Technics turntables running in my house at the moment. An SL-D3 in the living room and an SL-1900 at the computer. The Gemini is just what I need when I am chillin' in the basement.

Garrardman
07-09-2004, 02:53 AM
If you're not doing any DJ-ing then avoid the Stanton (and any other) turntables that have a short, straight arm.
These arms are designed for DJ's to give stability when "scratching" and back-cueing and they are not set up for optimum tracking angle across the record like a longer, angled arm is. The upshot is that they will give increased tracking distortion at the beginning and end of the side and may well also contibute to increased record wear.
Adam.

slate1
07-23-2004, 10:33 AM
Garrardman is right couchguy - all of these are DJ tables. There are some very good and inexpensive turntables out there that will give you much better playback for the same or a little more money. Check www.audioadvisor.com or www.needledoctor.com for some of the cheaper MMF or Pro-Ject tables and you'll be much better off. The Pro-Ject Debut II, for example, is $279 at needledoctor and comes with a Ortofon OM-5E cartridge premounted.