So, who's going to Nearfest next week? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : So, who's going to Nearfest next week?

DPM
06-30-2004, 07:32 AM
I couldn't get a ticket this year, so I'm out in the cold. I have to say though that--musically speaking--this year's lineup doesn't grab me. Except for Derek Sherinian, there really aren't any other bands performing that inspire my have-to-go-see response. Still, each prior Nearfest I've attended has introduced me to a new band or bands whose music I never would have discovered on my own. That chance of discovery is what I'll really miss.

Oh well. Maybe next year.

Dave M

Dusty Chalk
06-30-2004, 08:51 AM
...but, like you, I don't have a ticket.

richmon
06-30-2004, 09:54 AM
Nhah nhah nah nah nah .... I got a ticket ;-)

I also got shut out of the intense competition for tix, and was having dark thoughts about missing this highlight of my concert year. But I set my homepage to the NF tix exchange and viola --- logged on just as someone posted a tix for sale and I was the first response. Just got it, a great seat, first row center of the Grand Tier. Yippee - Strawbs, Pallas and Kenalleay - oh my!

Keep trying, there's lots of last minute sales, if you can be that serendipitous. Looking forward to feasting on the prog buffet, I always leave with a pile of CD's and ideas for many more from the weekend.

If you don't make it, I'll scribble some listening notes and peck up a detailed review to post.
If you do make it, look me up at the Bethlehem Brew Works for a frosty grog or four.
Caravan and Nektar are touring the NorthEast together this fall, might be an acceptable stand in?

Troy
06-30-2004, 10:00 AM
I live far away.

Keneally will shred.

BarryL
06-30-2004, 11:19 AM
Nhah nhah nah nah nah .... I got a ticket ;-)

I also got shut out of the intense competition for tix, and was having dark thoughts about missing this highlight of my concert year. But I set my homepage to the NF tix exchange and viola --- logged on just as someone posted a tix for sale and I was the first response. Just got it, a great seat, first row center of the Grand Tier. Yippee - Strawbs, Pallas and Kenalleay - oh my!

Keep trying, there's lots of last minute sales, if you can be that serendipitous. Looking forward to feasting on the prog buffet, I always leave with a pile of CD's and ideas for many more from the weekend.

If you don't make it, I'll scribble some listening notes and peck up a detailed review to post.
If you do make it, look me up at the Bethlehem Brew Works for a frosty grog or four.
Caravan and Nektar are touring the NorthEast together this fall, might be an acceptable stand in?

Strawbs are in Toronto this weekend. I may be going, but it'll be a last minute thing. Nektar and Caravan are also slated to be in town on their tour. That's one I won't miss. I'm looking forward to seeing Nektar.

I'd love to see Pallas. I really like this band, and that should be a treat. I"d like to see a Pallas and IQ tour. Have a great time. I talked about going this year, but it wasn't going to be. Maybe next year. I wish someone would do a Toronto-area version of Nearfest. It's close enough. They could just pack up the show and move it for the following weekend. Let us know how it went.

DPM
06-30-2004, 08:03 PM
[QUOTE=richmon]Looking forward to feasting on the prog buffet, I always leave with a pile of CD's and ideas for many more from the weekend.

Your assignment young man is to create a Nearfest 2004 comp to be presented to the rave rec student body. Said comp shall contain a smorgasbord of prog samplings from the Nearfest buffet. Grading will be based on clarity of presentation, synergy, pacing, and genre-specific criteria (such as, grey matter arousal level, aural fixation modalities, WAF, GFAF, GEEK, etc.). Please have the first copy in my mailbox by the end of the summer term. Tardiness shall result in suspension of all prog privilages.

Also, please be aware that the final score shall be made using the M. Waters bell curve (aka., the Yon Ear Canals Hemorrhoidal system). Any inclusion of blues, country, or polka tunes shall result in the revocation of ALL BEER PRIVILAGES. (Any Britney Spears selections must be accompanied by at least half a dozen 8 x 10 pictures of said artist to aid grey matter arousal level.) (See above.)

Professor Dave M. BS

Dusty Chalk
06-30-2004, 11:25 PM
Any inclusion of blues, country, or polka tunes shall result in the revocation of ALL BEER PRIVILAGES. (Any Britney Spears selections must be accompanied by at least half a dozen 8 x 10 pictures of said artist to aid grey matter arousal level.) (See above.) I've actually eaten at the prog buffet on Polka night -- the chef really makes the difference. A well-mixed pot simmered and stewed long enough really is quite tasty.

richmon
07-01-2004, 05:35 AM
Your assignment young man is to create a Nearfest 2004 comp to be presented to the rave rec student body. Said comp shall contain a smorgasbord of prog samplings from the Nearfest buffet. Grading will be based on clarity of presentation, synergy, pacing, and genre-specific criteria (such as, grey matter arousal level, aural fixation modalities, WAF, GFAF, GEEK, etc.).

I suspect the the RR student body interested in Prog consists of the hoodlums in the back of the class, the pale spindly nerd with the taped glasses and the booger wearing plaid shorts with the over the calf black socks and wingtips.
Proudly, I’ll assemble a sampler for this pack of musical misfits, although combing Folk Prog, Avant garde, Italian, RIO and fusion into a palatable offering reminds me of the time I mixed mung bean sprouts into chocolate pudding. That desert actually wasn’t that wretched. One has to be creative after purchasing a large bag of sprouts without wasting.

At the very least, you can be assured of stomach acid arousal.

Another idea I had is to create a photo montage of T-shirts worn to NearFest. Lots of interesting vintage and obscure bands represented there. Probably would get punched out if I ran around snapping shots of someone’s girlfriends/wife chest though.

progfan
07-01-2004, 05:42 AM
This will be my 5th consecutive Nearfest. Believe it or not, I may be looking forward to seeing The Musical Box on Friday nite the most. I've heard great things about the band and that they do an authentic Genesis show.

I kind of agree though that the lineup isn't as stellar as past Nearfests. But I always have a good time and I tend to spend entirely too much on CDs.

At any rate, I'm looking forward to seeing Metamorfosi. You guys hear them yet? Kind of an Italian ELP with an operatic singer-I think his name is Jimmy Spitaleri. He has a great voice. I'm also anticipating the Strawbs gig as well as Pallas. Other than that, I'm pretty indifferent about the other groups. I can't figure out Univers Zero.

richmon
07-01-2004, 06:12 AM
This will be my 5th consecutive Nearfest. Believe it or not, I may be looking forward to seeing The Musical Box on Friday nite the most. I've heard great things about the band and that they do an authentic Genesis show.

I kind of agree though that the lineup isn't as stellar as past Nearfests. But I always have a good time and I tend to spend entirely too much on CDs.

At any rate, I'm looking forward to seeing Metamorfosi. You guys hear them yet? Kind of an Italian ELP with an operatic singer-I think his name is Jimmy Spitaleri. He has a great voice. I'm also anticipating the Strawbs gig as well as Pallas. Other than that, I'm pretty indifferent about the other groups. I can't figure out Univers Zero.

There's been some chatter around here raving about the Musical Box show, it's a gem.
I saw Genesis during the 74 Selling tour and The Musical Box last spring. They nail it, notice what a great keys player Tony Banks was/is. The only part of TMB show that didn't seem authenic to me was the banter the P Gabrial character does between songs. PG had alot more charisma than this guy, but maybe it's these fuzzy smokey 30 year old memories.
I bought Metamorfosi's Inferno to get ready for this years show. Can't say I deeply connected with it yet, requires more attention span than I've had lately.

ForeverAutumn
07-02-2004, 04:50 AM
There's been some chatter around here raving about the Musical Box show, it's a gem.
I saw Genesis during the 74 Selling tour and The Musical Box last spring. They nail it, notice what a great keys player Tony Banks was/is. The only part of TMB show that didn't seem authenic to me was the banter the P Gabrial character does between songs. PG had alot more charisma than this guy, but maybe it's these fuzzy smokey 30 year old memories.
I bought Metamorfosi's Inferno to get ready for this years show. Can't say I deeply connected with it yet, requires more attention span than I've had lately.

I've seen TMB three times. Lamb twice and Selling England once. They are definately worth the price of admission. One of the times that we saw them, they had to pause for the repair of a broken guitar string. Well, the PG character was at quite a loss as to how to fill the time. He didn't seem very skilled at un-scripted banter, resorting to...."how 'bout those Leafs". :D

Dave_G
07-02-2004, 05:04 AM
TMB and Pallas in one weekend is a awsome situation, but alas, I cannot attend either.

Have fun, Richmon.

Dave

BarryL
07-02-2004, 03:28 PM
I can't figure out Univers Zero.

I've been listening to Univers Zero's Rhythmix for the past few weeks. I didn't really like it when I bought it, but having had it in rotation I've really come to like it a lot. You have to be in a classical music state of mind to dig it though. As they say, you can't dance to architecture.