Buying of the web! Noob Question! Thanks! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Buying of the web! Noob Question! Thanks!

troostj
06-30-2004, 05:20 AM
Hello All, this is my first post in this forum.

I am looking to buy a Klipsch RSW-10 Sub-woofer.. (to match with my RF-3, RC-3, and RS-3 combo, which I got at tweeter for 50% when they were upgrading to the RF-3II etc stuff 2 yrs ago!)

I looked thru the web and found the sub at three different websites for 660.. brandnamez, acousticsounddesign, and sounddistributors.

I also emailed my local klipsch dealers and told them that I was looking for that sub, and yada yada and looking for a good price.. and that I could get it for 660. They all emailed me back saying that they could never come close to matching that price, and that I should not buy from the web because Klipsch is cracking down on unothaurized dealers who are selling gray market or defective product. hmm

What do you guys think? Do you buy stuff of the web.. I see that the stuff on the web does not have the klipsch factory warranty..

what is your advice? Should I pay like 900-1000 at the store? so I can get a real sub? or Im I getting ripped with a sub-par copy of the sub in the web?

and 2nd qs, what do you guys think about the sub?

Worf101
06-30-2004, 06:04 AM
New or used, I've yet to plod down to a B&M (brick and mortar) establishment and plop down money for speakers. Between Ebay, Audiogon and factory direct distributors I've managed to stay away from pushy sales people and State Sales Tax. I've dealt with both acousticsounddesign, and sounddistributors before. They're reputable. Just make sure that with shipping you're not paying almost as much as you would be by going local. Speakers off the web are almost a "no brainer", receivers and other more "delicate" gear is another thing altogether.

Hope this helps...

Da Worfster :cool:

dean_martin
06-30-2004, 07:14 AM
Klipsch is "cracking down" on unauthorized internet sellers and in fact filed a lawsuit against many. Some went out of business and others settled. I'm not sure if there are any Klipsch authorized internet sellers left. It may be worth it to do a little research on this before buying new off the web if you want the manufacturer's warranty. If you don't, then get it while you can.

BTW, I have bought speakers off the web - Acoustic Energy and NHT. But, I looked for closeout deals on recently replaced models from authorized dealers which resulted in good price and warranty.

Bryan
06-30-2004, 07:20 AM
You do not need to buy the same brand of subwoofer as your mains. Do not feel you have to or that it is some sort of requirement. It is nice but often times speaker companies do not make great subwoofers. For under $1K you have a vast array of options out there. Look into ones from SVS, HSU, Adire Audio, ACI, or Rocket to name a few. All those are factory direct companies. There are several local options available too such as Paradigm. Increase your search criteria. You may find one you will love for many years to come!

Woochifer
06-30-2004, 11:42 AM
Depends on how much of a gambler you are. Those dealers are correct in that those websites that you jotted down are not authorized dealers. At the very least, it means that if the unit fails within the warranty period, you're on your own with the repair costs. In a worst case scenario, you could wind up with a b-stock unit or a gray market model that has some parts that are incompatible with U.S. models.

If your true budget is $660, then you should focus on subwoofers in that price range, and if you can get a discount, then consider it a bonus. See what price you can get from the retail stores. I doubt it will be $660, but if it's reasonably close, then consider that most retail stores will let you take something back if you don't like it, and you got a place to instantly exchange a unit if it's dead out of the box. It's a matter of risk and reward. If a mail ordered unit arrives factory new with no defects and you like it, then you've scored yourself a deal. But, if something goes wrong or you don't like it for some reason, then the real fun starts at that point.

As Bryan suggested, I think you should expand your list of subwoofers. Just because your main speakers are Klipsch does not mean that you need to go with one of their subwoofers.