Unit on way..help [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Unit on way..help

ChattyWitch
06-29-2004, 05:15 PM
I recently bought a "Sony CDP-CX455 " . I thought when it said "cd player" that meant it was like ...well like a regular old cd player. So now I find out that I am going to need to buy a receiver & speakers. It arrives tomorrow.
What is the least amount any of you would spend on this receiver? I mean is there a big difference in these things? I only want to listen to cd's ...I don't dj or anything like that. I have speakers that I assume will work (ugh, another assumption).
Please forgive my ignorance in this matter. I honestly thought I had bought something that would hold & play all 400 of those cd's. :(
ANY help would be Greatly appreciated & thanks for reading this.
Chatty

This Guy
06-29-2004, 05:23 PM
Something like this would do fine. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1076628923551&skuId=6305241&productCategoryId=cat03031&type=product

You could also search ebay and get a used one for about $50. Really any stereo receiver out there with a brand name you heard of should suit you fine.

-Joey

uncooked
06-29-2004, 05:45 PM
yea that sony there would do you good, you'd have a nice mathing sony set.

what were the speakers you have? floor standers or bookshelves? 2 way, 3 way? any stats you can throw at us.

look for a label on the back of them to see if it says the impedance "Ohm" and wattage maybe even sensitivity.

if the label is gone just get the brand and model number if you can.

ChattyWitch
06-29-2004, 06:12 PM
The speakers are "Altec Lansing Multimedia Computer Speaker System AVS500"
There are 4 little ones & one woolfer/woofer (?). The sticker doesn't have Ohms, just that info & an address. They came with my old computer.
The ebay search sounds like a good idea if I can't locate one in a pawn shop or something lol. Ebay is how I got myself into this whole thing, so the irony is priceless.
It's not that I'm trying to be cheap, but I thought I was just upgrading my boom box. Didn't plan to buy a whole truckload of things.
Thanks to both of you very much for your help.
One last question (I hope)...is this receiver thing (that I need for the cd player) similar to what the tv deliverers hooked my tv/dvd/vcr/cable/surround sound to? Cause I was thinking maybe if it is the same, I could plug the player into that thing.

This Guy
06-29-2004, 06:25 PM
Wait, if its computer speakers you can hook them up right to your cd player. And the answer to your second question is yes, but this particular receiever wouldn't do surround sound, just stereo (2 speakers). But your computer speakers wouldn't work with any receiver, because they have their own amplifier. If you want surround sound, you'll need a 5.1 receiver and regular speakers, not computer. So what you're going to want to do is connect the cd players audio output to the computer speakers Input. They same input that was used that went from your computer to your speakers. So you're going to need a cable with rca's on one end ( a red plug, and a white one), and the other end will probably be the same thing, or a 1/8" jack. I'm not sure which one it is cause all computer speakers are different. The receiver would be used if you had regular speakers, but it sounds like you don't even need one.

-Joey

ChattyWitch
06-29-2004, 06:36 PM
Oh My Gosh! THAT is the best news I have heard!! Here I thought you would tell me I'm crazy & that computer speakers wouldn't work & I would have to buy other speakers in addition to the receiver! So, let me make sure I understand, I can just hook the computer speakers to the player & presto I will have music? I mean after I get the cables.
...holding breath about to jump for joy here :D

This Guy
06-29-2004, 06:50 PM
haha yeah it should work fine. Happy listening

-Joey

ChattyWitch
06-29-2004, 06:59 PM
Super super super!!! I'm off to dance under the waxing moon, whilst singing the praises of Joey & Uncooked :D
Seriously though, thank you both soooo very much!

:D HappyWitch :D

uncooked
06-29-2004, 09:14 PM
yea that should work,

go into a radio shack or a similar store and pick up something like this

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=274-369

plug left and right into the rca input and the 1/8" stereo jack goes into the computer speakers.

happy listening!