Loewe Aventos 30" vs. Sony KV34XBR910? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Loewe Aventos 30" vs. Sony KV34XBR910?

berogers
12-02-2003, 05:46 PM
I am narrowing down my TV choices and was wondering what other people thought about the two models. I can get the new Loewe Aventos 30" for $1800 and the new Sony 34" XBR for $2100. I can not compare these models side by side and was hoping someone may have had the opportunity. I am also looking for general comments and thoughts on the two models. Thank you for your help

woodman
12-03-2003, 11:01 AM
Before plunking down that much cash for either one of these sets, you should be made aware of the fact that ANY direct-view widescreen set is a risky proposition. I personally, would not consider for even a minute buying one - it's just not worth the risk, IMO.

What I mean by a risk is that a CRT (picture tube) failure after the warranty has expired would render the set as worthless. The cost of replacing the tube would equal the price of a whole new set! Such tube failures, although rare, can and do happen.

If, after reading my warning, you still want to buy one, I'd recommend a Toshiba rather than either of the two brands you're considering. I've had the absolute worst servicing experiences of my entire career with Sony. I had no experience with Loewe at all, but the set is built in Germany I believe, and the availibility of tech support (including parts) would concern me.

Whatever set you end up buying, by all means get as much extended warranty on it as you can. It's the only thing that will protect you in the event of a disaster.

Hope this helps you

woodman

sofsoldier
12-03-2003, 03:47 PM
I do not know about the models you are looking at, but I have a Loewe Calida. The picture on the Loewe is far superior (in my hubble opinion) than any other set I looked at. The on-screen menus on a Loewe are very easy to understand and very extensive. They also feature a technology that I don't understand, but dramatically improves the clarity of scenes with much movement.

However, the bottom line is look at the picture on both sets to find out what is best for you. I suggest taking a DVD you know that has a bit of everything so you can test the image quality. Personally, I like the battle sequence of Gladiator that opens the film. There are many small details and alot of movement to try and look at all at once.

Rick

hifidude
03-04-2006, 10:33 AM
Loewe is a suped up philips t.v. just like a crap car manuf. that needs help from Lotus to make it good.Philips needs Loewe to show them how to do it rite.
The Electronics that go into All Loewe T.v's are basicly the same from a basic chass to the flagship model, most Loewe's use Philips tubes and my Aconda is bullet proof, even in the crap power supply area of Southern Africa it never fails.
I think that if you do stray from 220 v check out your cycle rate at 110v and your power supply, Loewe's don't like shoddy power, give them pure juice.
I live 200m from the ocean and even the sea air does nothing to my set, it is left on constantly.
In short buy the most expensive derivitive you can afford and leave out all the bells and whistles, they are for cheap o's who want a home cinema from a T.V.
Gloss black is the bussiness as in 16:9 you don't see the bars top and bottom.
Its the Best T.V. you'll ever own, no Bull Sh--t

edtyct
03-05-2006, 09:27 AM
First of all, this thread features the return of the inestimable Woodman, whose insights were sorely missed by some of the stalwarts at this site.

Loewe's sets are well-constructed and well-reviewed, with great color rendition and better scaling than most other TVs, though they are finicky to set up. Loewe had an outpost in my home state, but it is no longer operational since the company is no longer pusuing an American market. The risk, as Woodman said, is being left out in the cold if something should go wrong, even though the company claims to honor their service obligations.

To my mind, just buying a TV carries risk--some more than others. However, I like the idea of the Sony 34" XBR over the Loewe--if only for size; 4 inches makes a considerable difference at this level. Sony is also easier to reach in the event of a problem (for whatever that's worth). But I just flat-out like the XBR. The extra horizontal resolution that Sony packs into this set makes for a noticeably sharper picture (at a proper seating distance), and I'm a sucker for sharpness. Morevover, CRTs have advantages over most microdisplays--color and greyscale being two of the most important--although overdriving brightness/contrast and/or watching with too much ambient light can make them look ordinary in a heartbeat.

If you have your heart set on a direct-view CRT and aren't scared away that it's a dying breed, the Sony XBR to me is the winner--no disrespect intended toward Woodman's experience with Sony as a technician. Interested parties have to assess the danger of tube failure for themselves. Publications like Consumer Reports post reliability records, and the web can help, too, if you're careful to separate the wheat from the chaff. I had a 34" Sony direct view in the house a year of so ago for a while. Although I loved the picture (notwithstanding the infamous Sony scrolling bar at 1080i), in the end. the screen was too small for me given its footprint. It was the 300 lb. elephant in the middle of the room.

westcott
03-05-2006, 10:41 AM
I think I would be far more concerned with a flat panel failure than a CRT failure. CRT is a tried and true technology with a LOT of hours to prove it.

Loewe does a great job and so does Sony, so from a picture quality standpoint, I rate them about even in most respects. Ed is right though, the new XBR's are just a better tube to begin with. A professional calibration would make a lot of viewers very happy with the Sony.

I chose a Sony 27" CRT for my SD viewing over the Loewe.

edtyct
03-05-2006, 11:41 AM
Okay, this thread was resurrected from 2003. I feel like a complete fool, but I should pass some of the blame along to hifidude (Westcott is unfortunate victim). On the good side, I stand by what I said. On the bad side, Woodman's still missing. How in heaven did a topic that died in 2003 come back to life? Hifidude, what possessed you?

Ed