Best Roxy Music Album [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best Roxy Music Album

Davey
06-29-2004, 07:59 AM
I've been listening some recently to For Your Pleasure and Country Life and have been surprised how good those two still sound. When they were on, there wasn't really anyone I liked more. Songs like "The Thrill Of It All" and "Do The Strand" and "Editions of You" and "Out of the Blue" and "Virginia Plain" and "Mother of Pearl" and pretty much all the singles were just great. Makes for a helluva good greatest hits collection. Rocking and inventive. That second album is probably still my favorite, I guess because I just like that quirky Eno touch, but all the albums have their high points. So what's your favorite?

progfan
06-29-2004, 08:57 AM
I voted for "Siren" but you're right, there's not a bad one in the bunch. Sometimes, I like to hear the just plain weird stuff like "In Every Dream Home a Heartache" or the smooth, sexy stuff that women like, just about anything on "Avalon" or the danceable "Manifesto". I'm really sorry I didn't make their reunion tour. I heard good things about it as well as the live DVD, which I haven't purchased yet.

Jim Clark
06-29-2004, 11:26 AM
Side one of Avalon gets my vote as being one of the best record sides of all time so I have to vote for that one.

jc

2 channel
06-29-2004, 11:50 AM
I have to go with Flesh and blood as one of the all time greatest cds to listen to when well...lets say...on a date?? At least it was one of my favs while in high school. Geezzz ha sthis album benn out for 20+ years already. Man the older i get the better I was!

Anyway, In the Midnight Hour and Over You are awesome songs!

skewiff
06-29-2004, 01:13 PM
My choice is For Your Pleasure.

I remember the first time I ever saw RM on the BBC's Old Grey Whistle Test, back in '72 they played Virginia Plain unreal, there was nothing like it then. I've been a fan ever since. Saw the Stranded and Country Life tours and saw the Bryan Ferry tour 2 years ago(my daughter's first big time show).

For Your Pleasure is and has always been my fave, the title track, Strand, Bogus Man not a single bad or even average song on here.

All of their albums are excellent, strangley my least favorite is Avalon, not that it isn't very good, but it's also a very safe album, it also has one of my all time faves More than This, still I prefer the others.

The live DVD from 2 years ago is just superb.

Tony

Davey
06-29-2004, 05:43 PM
My choice is For Your Pleasure.
But your supposed to click on it in the poll too! What good is it to have a poll if people don't vote in the poll? Hehehe, I thought it would be kinda cool to do a poll with all the album covers shown so grabbed them from amazon. Turned out pretty neat but doesn't seem like Roxy Music polls are very popular around here. Or maybe it's just that polls have gotten a (probably deserved) bad reputation now :)

Dusty Chalk
06-29-2004, 05:48 PM
...that would be this one (http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000256K7.01.THUMBZZZ.jpg).

You mean, besides Avalon?

I should probably vote my conscience, (I.E., Avalon), but opted to play my favourite of the older albums...Siren. I just listened to that one the most.

Ex Lion Tamer
06-30-2004, 05:47 AM
I'm going with "For Your Pleasure" followed closely behind by Avalon then Siren.

Slosh
07-01-2004, 03:28 PM
I have to go with Avalon since it's the only one I have (and on SACD, no less :) ).