Nina Nastasia, Animal Collective, Of Montreal [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Nina Nastasia, Animal Collective, Of Montreal

audiobill
06-29-2004, 05:42 AM
Anyone heard any music by Animal Collective or Of Montreal??

Today, I read some interesting reviews of both.

Animal Collective have 6 albums -- and I just hear of them today. Davey's "half-gone" issue inspired me to take notice. One critic says this "...is easily the most original album released this year."(Kevin Hainey). Influences/touchstones include The Flaming Lips and the Microphones.

Of Montreal have a new CD with the quirky title "Satanic Panic in the Attic". Any idea if it's any good?? The title piqued my curiosity.

Also, Nina Nastasia has a new CD "Dogs". Anyone (Davey, this means you) heard this, yet?? How does it compare to "Blackened Air"??

Cheers,
Bill

Davey
06-29-2004, 07:01 AM
Nina Nastasia's Dogs is a reissue of her first CD which had gone OOP. I haven't heard it. She did put out a new one last year called Road To Ruin and it's very good, although quite reserved and a little on the short side. Recorded very nicely again by her biggest fan and supporter, Steve Albini. Sounding a little bit more like Hope Sandoval (Mazzy Star) on this one. Sounds kind of like the Dirty Three at times, although with vocals of course. Really a nice album but it does drift by if you aren't paying attention. But lots of details to follow if you do listen closely. Probably would be great on headphones. I love her and wouldn't miss it, but I don't know how big a fan you are.

I checked out the latest Of Montreal album when it first came out because I love the cover. Only listened to a song or two, can't remember which ones. Didn't knock me out but has been getting some decent reviews (except at Nude As The News where they said, "Of Montreal are at least three indie subfads too late." :)). Why don't you get it and let us know the real story.

I really like the latest Animal Collective, but that's the only one I've heard. There's a little review at my site so if you wanna read more words from me go here (http://members.mailaka.net/davey/dbireviews.htm#Animal_Collective_Sung_Tongs).

Oh yeah, Satanic Panic in the Attic...

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0001LYEVY.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

audiobill
06-30-2004, 05:27 AM
Nice site, Davey.

I enjoyed reading several of your reviews.
I'll have to make my way downtown to my favourite indie hipster store and try Of Montreal.
You're right -- the cover is tres cool.
Bill