speaker building how-to [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : speaker building how-to

ronning
06-28-2004, 10:41 PM
any suggestions on on-line sources or printed books for good speaker building/design how to? Something geared towards a newbie like myself.

Thanks!

Olen

kexodusc
06-29-2004, 07:37 AM
Here's two I read for starters that were recommended to me here some time ago that I'd definitely recommend to others, there are others on my list, can't remember the exact titles...

LOUDSPEAKER DESIGN COOKBOOK - Vance Dickason

GREAT SOUND STEREO SPEAKER MANUAL - David B. Weems.

karl k
06-29-2004, 08:19 PM
any suggestions on on-line sources or printed books for good speaker building/design how to? Something geared towards a newbie like myself.

Thanks!

Olen
Kex is right on the money with the "hold in your hand" info... I have the David Weems book and have borrowed the Vance D. book. Both are top notch!

Here's some links from my travels to get you started... I posted these some time ago right here.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=616

ronning
06-30-2004, 08:55 PM
Nobody around here has those books mentioned, I'll have to order the "cookbook" from B&N.
However I found some good books at the local library ("advanced speaker designs," "high performance loudspeakers," and "designing building and testing your own speaker system").

It is, of course, a lot of technical info to wade through for a beginner such as myself. I'm starting to remember some of what I learned in Differential Equations and Electrical & Magnetic Physics (*some*.... ;-)

Anyway, I'm not sure just how much time, effort, etc. that I want to put into actually *engineering* a system, but I'd certainly like to put together a really good sounding and good looking pair of speakers (I'm a product designer, in case you're wondering). I like all the pre-defined skits, ystems and box designs but they're all so god-awful ugly. I have some unique ideas for some speaker cabinets (functional and aesthetic wise) and am curious about some particular pre-defined system designs that I could maybe apply. I'm interested in larger array systems (ie: MTM+S, or TMMM+S, etc). In other words, something a bit more unique (planar tweeters??) that I can then tweak with my own design and basic acoustical knowledge.

Anybody think of any designs such as the above?

Thanks!!

-Olen