Is the year really Half Gone already? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Is the year really Half Gone already?

Davey
06-28-2004, 09:09 PM
You know what that means, don't you? The much anticipated - almost yearly - next installment of Davey's Half Gone series. The 2001 edition was outstanding. Almost lengendary. Great flow and a nice, eclectic collection of tunes representing some outstanding albums. Still probably the comp I'm most proud of. The 2002 followup had some stellar songs but lacked a little something from the first one, that certain <i>je ne sais quoi</i> as the French so beautifully express it. I still expect to hear Enon's "Native Numb" after the opening track on the Notwist's <i>Neon Golden</i> every time I listen to it, but that's one of the liabilities of comping your favorite albums :)

I skipped it last year because I didn't have enough new music and just wasn't inspired (not to mention I was in the middle of moving). This year isn't that much different since I'm getting ready to move again and haven't bought that many albums, but thanks to some contributions from Jim Clark and tentoze that account for at least 25% of the music on this comp, I went ahead and put it togther and am glad I did because I've been enjoying it myself. It's always kind of fun to work within the constraints of a limited number of CDs when putting a comp together because it can get intimidating if you're trying to pick stuff from your whole collection without any solid boundaries. So, without any further obfuscations other than to say I've only got 5 copies available now........
http://members.mailaka.net/davey/halfgone2004.jpg

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/dbicomps.htm#Half_Gone_2004

Troy
06-28-2004, 09:25 PM
Where ya movin' now, Davey?

That Secret Machines album . . . I dunno. Pretty raggedly done and meandering, donchathink?

Whooptee
06-28-2004, 11:11 PM
A Half Gone Davey Comp? That'll bring me out of hiding. Can I have one of those? Please?

BTW, I like Turkey Time best. That, Half Gone, Twilight, alt.country and last year's holiday sampler have been getting a lot of play around here lately. That 2003 holiday disc is a good one too.

Thanks,
John

Slosh
06-28-2004, 11:26 PM
I need to hear me some Honeydogs 'cause of all your babbling :)

2004's been really light for me (so far), at least where new releases are concerned. All I have is McLusky, Modest Mouse, Wilco, Les Savy Fav (and only the first two songs are new), and a one song Decemberists EP. Hell, I may not even be able to do a proper year-end comp with only Clinic, Spoon, The Decemberists (maybe), and Built To Spill (maybe) on the horizon :(

audiobill
06-29-2004, 04:45 AM
Hey, Davey.

The comp "looks" very surreal. Is it really that hot in the desert?? Is that why you're moving??

All kidding aside, I'd love a copy.

Your comps all receive a heavy rotation up here in Canada.

Thanks-a-ton,
Bill aka audiobill

Btw, are you moving out-of-state??

Ex Lion Tamer
06-29-2004, 04:59 AM
Break out the high priced postage dude! I'll be needing one up here in the GWN.

Hey, did you know we had a Federal Election up here yesterday? Canadians blew it again!!! Elected a parliament just slightly to the left of Castro. Bummer!

My coordinates remain unchanged. Thanks Davey.

Jim Clark
06-29-2004, 05:06 AM
Oh, I think I may be on the bubble (I didn't count yet-no time to waste!) I could stand to hear some Honey dogs too. I'm going to need some more albums to pick from for the end of 2004 and as always am looking for some viable candidates.

Thanks,
jc

Davey
06-29-2004, 07:18 AM
Where ya movin' now, Davey?
North and west

That Secret Machines album . . . I dunno. Pretty raggedly done and meandering, donchathink?
Not really, I kind of like it. Pretty full sound for just 3 guys. Sure, most modern albums have awful, congested, compressed sound and I guess a couple of the songs could use a little better development, but I enjoy it overall even with those misgivings. Probably about the same as that Monster Zero to you, huh? I'm curious though, I remember you posted that you listened to a bunch of it at their site when someone first posted about it and you didn't think much of it, but then you went ahead and bought the CD anyway. Why? Or maybe you just didn't think the samples matched what was being said about it? Anyway, probably wouldn't make my best of the year list, but it wasn't a disappointment.

Mike
06-29-2004, 08:02 AM
Only five copies eh, Well I make 5 if you bump one of those other freeloaders.

Seriously though I need one to add to the 'Davey Comps' part of my collection. Not that I'm a completist or anything but how else do I know what to buy and appear cool in front of my friends.

Cheers
Mike

Davey
06-29-2004, 08:20 AM
Only five copies eh, Well I make 5 if you bump one of those other freeloaders.

Seriously though I need one to add to the 'Davey Comps' part of my collection. Not that I'm a completist or anything but how else do I know what to buy and appear cool in front of my friends.

Cheers
Mike
Yeah, I can probably scrounge up a copy for someone as nice as you, Mike! Just didn't want to get <i>too</i> involved with it at this point, but still thought it would be fun to offer it up. I guess a few extra copies won't require me to break my piggy bank :)

Troy
06-29-2004, 08:53 AM
North and west

So that would be . . . Wickenburg? Kingman? Las Vegas? Seattle?

Not really, I kind of like it. Pretty full sound for just 3 guys. Sure, most modern albums have awful, congested, compressed sound and I guess a couple of the songs could use a little better development, but I enjoy it overall even with those misgivings. Probably about the same as that Monster Zero to you, huh? I'm curious though, I remember you posted that you listened to a bunch of it at their site when someone first posted about it and you didn't think much of it, but then you went ahead and bought the CD anyway. Why? Or maybe you just didn't think the samples matched what was being said about it? Anyway, probably wouldn't make my best of the year list, but it wasn't a disappointment.

Yeah, I wasn't too impressed with the mp3s on the website. But I heard the first (and probably best) track being played in the SF Amoeba store kinda loud and it hooked me totally. I just find the recording really murky and amateurish. Way too much reverb and echo and compression. The ALBUM sounds like an mp3. And I don't like the writing choices made in the last track. It feels random. Like the Mars Volta, they have prog rock sensabilities, but don't see them through with any logic. It's just pointless, pretentious wankery.

Monster Zero . . . why does that sound familiar?

Davey
06-29-2004, 05:25 PM
Monster Zero . . . why does that sound familiar?
Troy battles the Monster Zero (http://archive.audioreview.com/10/0EF94A5E.php)

allears
06-29-2004, 05:36 PM
I haven't received one of your fine comps in awhile, so please send one.

Interestingly, I downloaded some Electrelane recently and really like their sound. I can send you a copy of Metric "Old World Underground, Where are You Now?", which has a similar electronic groove, in repayment.

Oh yeah, I made a special trip to Best Buy to score that Honey Dogs you touted the other day and plan to listen to it tomorrow on the way to work. Will let you know what I think after a few listens.

Steve