Listening Room Set-up [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Listening Room Set-up

tkyong1
06-28-2004, 08:09 PM
I am moving to a newly bought house very soon. :D

Have reserve a small room for Listening Room for my Stereo System consist of Marantz CDP + Primare I20 + ProAc Studio 125.

My room :
:wink: - L/W/H -- 11 x 9 x 9
- Heavy curtain at the back wall of the Hi-Fi.
- Book shelves at the back of the listening position.

Question: :roll:

1. Should I use Wallpaper for the room ? OR

2. No Wallpaper but hanging rug on both left & right side wall?

3. Dealer suggested Wallpaper due to even absorbing / difussing capability.

Need advice asap.

thanks. :)

warnerwh
06-28-2004, 09:07 PM
I'd keep the bookcases behind me to be used as diffusors and the heavy curtain behind the speakers. This is known as LEDE or live end dead end, a common way to set up a listening room. Have done so myself with wonderful results. If the curtains cover much in the way of glass I personally may put some acoustic foam over the glass or at least on boards that can be put up and removed. You need to use 3" foam, thicker is ok but not thinner. Good Luck

warnerwh
06-28-2004, 09:08 PM
I wouldn't use wallpaper, that's BS. Use acoustic foam. It may be more expensive but worth every penny.

mtrycraft
06-29-2004, 04:06 PM
3. Dealer suggested Wallpaper due to even absorbing / difussing capability.

thanks. :)

Nothing wrong with wall paper if you want the room to also look presentable at other times, or as a decoration. The dealers is full of voodoo.
You can always put acoustic treatements over the paper where it is best suited and the reast of the room will be pleasing and decorated :)
Be careful how dead you make it around the speakers as that is a drawback too if it is too dead.

Mr Peabody
06-29-2004, 04:44 PM
You didn't mention what your floor was. You will have to experiment some but I wouldn't use rug on the wall to begin with, I'd be afraid the room would become dead, especially if it is carpeted. Nothing wrong with a textured wallpaper. I'd recommend not using a smooth or slick finish wallpaper.