20 1/2 year old stereo [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 20 1/2 year old stereo

coreno
06-28-2004, 03:53 PM
Ok, curiousity kicked me today and I got the urge to find out some more information on this old '83 Sanyo stereo. I don't know alot about home audio stuffs, or audio stuffs in general, so I thought I'd ask here.

It's a Sanyo Model Number JA 220. System 220 (Which apparently means is 220 Volts (good? bad?). It was manufactured 11-01-83 (printed on the back).

The speakers are in large wooden cabinets (24" high, 13" wide, 8" deep) with the large speaker (sub? 6.5" diameter) small speaker (tweeter? 2.75" diameter) and air-intake (cover with dust , 2" diameter) 8 ohms impedance.

The sound quality is amazing, especailly when you look at it's age and I don't think I'd ever give this stereo up. If the speaker were to ever give out I think I'd cry

Anwyay, I can't find any documentation on this thing. I got more information out of a 1970 stereo than this thing.

What I'm looking for is what would the market value be, system wattage, etc...

ronning
06-28-2004, 05:05 PM
wow...

um... google search, my friend, google search...

Ok, curiousity kicked me today and I got the urge to find out some more information on this old '83 Sanyo stereo. I don't know alot about home audio stuffs, or audio stuffs in general, so I thought I'd ask here.

It's a Sanyo Model Number JA 220. System 220 (Which apparently means is 220 Volts (good? bad?). It was manufactured 11-01-83 (printed on the back).

The speakers are in large wooden cabinets (24" high, 13" wide, 8" deep) with the large speaker (sub? 6.5" diameter) small speaker (tweeter? 2.75" diameter) and air-intake (cover with dust , 2" diameter) 8 ohms impedance.

The sound quality is amazing, especailly when you look at it's age and I don't think I'd ever give this stereo up. If the speaker were to ever give out I think I'd cry

Anwyay, I can't find any documentation on this thing. I got more information out of a 1970 stereo than this thing.

uncooked
06-28-2004, 05:07 PM
i cant find anything for you either.

i dont think the 220 means voltage because if your house is the norm at 110 - 120 volt. it wouldnt run.

im thinking it means wattage if anything. 110 a side? what do the meters go up to on the sides?

i have a sanyo dca 611, from 1980, its ratings from the net are 60 a side but its actually 140 a side and it sounds great.

does it look like this one at all? maybe try to get pics of your system.

coreno
06-28-2004, 05:54 PM
i cant find anything for you either.

i dont think the 220 means voltage because if your house is the norm at 110 - 120 volt. it wouldnt run.

im thinking it means wattage if anything. 110 a side? what do the meters go up to on the sides?

i have a sanyo dca 611, from 1980, its ratings from the net are 60 a side but its actually 140 a side and it sounds great.

does it look like this one at all? maybe try to get pics of your system.
Here is the system; the over is off because I thought I blew a fuse during a party (getting sound from only one speaker), but the next day when I checked it everything was fine.

http://levade.homeip.net/stereo/100_0222.jpg

Pat D
06-28-2004, 05:57 PM

LOL Air intake--I love it! I expect that the speakers are bass reflex and that the hole is the port.

Sanyo is easy to find on the net. I would Email them and ask them about this model and see if they say anything.

coreno
06-28-2004, 06:25 PM
LOL Air intake--I love it! I expect that the speakers are bass reflex and that the hole is the port.

Sanyo is easy to find on the net. I would Email them and ask them about this model and see if they say anything.Hehe, see I don't know anything
What's Bass reflex mean? :p

coreno
06-28-2004, 10:20 PM
I wrote to Sanyo and got a very prompt reply:

Thank you for your inquiry.
You are correct, these are 1983 units. We do not have a copy of the instruction manual(s) on file for the System220, which is made up by the models that you list. We do have copies of the Service Manuals that we can make copies of and mail to you, if you would like to provide your address.
This amplifier, JA220, is 20 watts per channel.