speaker stands [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : speaker stands

s dog
06-27-2004, 09:39 PM
What do you guys fill your speaker stands with ,I just made my own stands and was thinking about useing sand. thank you

Woochifer
06-27-2004, 09:58 PM
Sand works fine. Just make sure that you get something that's been kiln dried. Excess moisture on some bags of sand can cause rust to develop on steel stands and expansion on wood stands. Others on this board like to mix sand with lead shot (buy it at gun shops) because it increases the mass even more.

06-27-2004, 10:07 PM
I always wondered. How much is lead shot from the gun shops?

s dog
06-28-2004, 09:28 PM
thanks guys for the help ,i was wandering the same thing how much is it ,im thinking about trying to find a steel shaft to stick in it or some lead

kexodusc
06-29-2004, 07:33 AM
One friend of mine insists on concrete. Another uses flour believe it or not. I've seen people use Cat Litter claiming it has more dense or something stupid.

I'm still partial to good ol' fashioned dirt...I mean...sand.

Woochifer
06-29-2004, 11:36 AM
One friend of mine insists on concrete. Another uses flour believe it or not. I've seen people use Cat Litter claiming it has more dense or something stupid.

I'm still partial to good ol' fashioned dirt...I mean...sand.

I think anything that's dense, acoustically inert, and free of moisture works fine. 50 lbs. of kiln dried sand costs about $3 at my local hardware store, and it meets all of those criteria.

I've also heard of the cat litter story. (I've also heard that it's dense, but a 50 lb. bag of cat litter looks noticeably bigger than a 50 lb. bag of sand, so I'm not sure if it's denser than sand) That should work as well, so long as it's not used. :)

Jimmy C
06-29-2004, 02:21 PM
..."Playsand" from the local hardware store as someoone else mentioned - it's clean, cheap, and will make the stand stable. The only negative is it usually comes in 50ish lb. bags, a pain to carry (fake an arm injury, have an employee do it B^).

Lead? Even more mass, but possibly (?) dangerous to your health, and what difference it will make compared to the sand? I don't think too much - my speaker/stand combo is VERY heavy now, ca. 80 lbs.

But the cheap sand, let it settle, fill it again...

lbhkilla
06-29-2004, 04:09 PM
If you got a bunch of money, tungsten shot is denser than sand and safe:)

06-29-2004, 04:18 PM
if the lead is contained, I cant see why it would be dangerous. The lead isnt gonna leak out of the stand or anything. Remember silica dust (sand) can also cause cancer!

topspeed
06-29-2004, 07:09 PM
if the lead is contained, I cant see why it would be dangerous. The lead isnt gonna leak out of the stand or anything. Remember silica dust (sand) can also cause cancer!
It's not the shot, it's the dust from the lead that is dangerous as it can be inhaled. Therefore, unless your stands are hermetically (sp?) sealed, you should look at an alternative if lead poisoning is a concern. There's nothing wrong with steel shot. Personally, I used Playsand from Home Depot.

registrar84
07-05-2004, 09:27 AM
As you will note, I am a newbie. Do you guys have any pictures of how you use this sand/shot, etc. Is this to keep the speaker from being knocked over?
Thanks

pwh03
07-05-2004, 12:51 PM
the majority of stand worth purchasing are made up of hollow tube(s) that can then be filled with some material generally sand in order to make them heavier and intern more stable. It also reduces vibration and things like that

Ph

Willow
07-08-2004, 05:58 PM
I used construction sand much cheaper than "playground" sound it was a bit mois so once it was filled about 2 weeks later I tapped the sand down and filled it up again. the only pain with this is if you like to change you speaker cables...and they run in the sand..lots of work again !!

cam
07-08-2004, 06:56 PM
I used construction sand much cheaper than "playground" sound it was a bit mois so once it was filled about 2 weeks later I tapped the sand down and filled it up again. the only pain with this is if you like to change you speaker cables...and they run in the sand..lots of work again !!
There are alot of stands with dual tubes, one for sand and the other for the cable. Looking at a stand with dual tubes also looks better then one tube. Premier makes some just as I have described.