Problem: Speaker cone dust cover [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Problem: Speaker cone dust cover

bkulish
06-27-2004, 05:16 PM
I recently purchased a used set of NHT VT2 speakers that sound incredible (at least compared to my old Infinity speakers). After listening for several days, I decided to remove the speaker grills to get a close look at the drivers. To my horror, one of the dust caps in the center of the cone was pushed in. I was able to pull it out somewhat using duct tape. There are still a few very small dents in the cover, and I'm curious if I should be concerned? Will or can this affect the performance of the speakers in any way?

This Guy
06-27-2004, 06:51 PM
If its a woofer, it's fine and won't affect the sound. If its a midrange or tweeter, than you may have a problem.

uncooked
06-27-2004, 07:54 PM
alot of people have luck using a vacuum. like the shop vac style ones with the wide diameter ends. plastic if best. the thin metal ones would scare me a bit.

bkulish
06-29-2004, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the respose. It is a midrange driver that was pushed in. I did try the vacuum method, but without success. Maybe it's time to find a replacement driver.

ronning
06-29-2004, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the respose. It is a midrange driver that was pushed in. I did try the vacuum method, but without success. Maybe it's time to find a replacement driver.

try a toothpick with a **drop** of superglue on the tip. stick it to the dent, let it set a few minutes, then pull out slowly and carefully (too fast and it will just pop off). When you got it in the proper place, just pop off the toothpick.

poneal
06-29-2004, 06:23 PM
LOL, nothing better than a partial toothpick sticking out of a midrange. High class! LOL

bkulish
07-01-2004, 10:34 AM
Thanks for everyone's input. I found a similar thread that can referenced for additional information.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=127