Please help me choose speaker system. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Please help me choose speaker system.

teekay21
06-27-2004, 07:45 AM
It's time to upgrade my home cinema form the bad Eltax speaker system to something new. My Eltax speakers (http://www.eltax.com/products/salgelektronik.php?varenr=10083) goes for about 150$ here in Norway. Now it's time to use about 1900-2000$ on a new one. The problem is that I have to order them from far away and then I can't listen to them. I have narrowed 10 candidates down to 3-4 by reading reviews here on Audioreview.com. Here are the candidates:

1. The new Image serie from PSB.
Front: Image T55
Center: Image C60
Back: Image B25
The former model of T55, the T5 got really good reviews here on Audioreview, an average of 4,68 on 46 reviews.

2. The JBL Northridge E series.
Front: E 80
Center: EC 35
Back: E 30
Not very many reviews to find on Audioreview, but I have only heard good things about them.

3. The new Audio Pro Image Version 2 series
Front: Black Diamond V.2
Center: Black Vector V.2
Back: Black Pearl V.2
The former Black Diamond got superb reviews all over the world were it was sold, including here on Audioreview.com. An average of 4,95 on 21 reviews. The new serie is severly upgraded with a new 1" tweeter instead of the older 3/4". Also it has new bass element. They have also but bi-wire connectors on the center and rear.

4. The new INFINITY BETA serie
Front: BETA 40
Center: BETA C360
Back: BETA 20

It's pretty tied between the top 3 candidates, I could go for anyone of them. I will use this system for both stereo and ofcource surrround. I will be updating my receiver to a Yamaha RX-V 650 and a Yamaha DVD S-1500. I also have a 12" subwoofer that will take care of the lowest frequencies.
But as I said it's a tie between the first 3 candidates so any help will be appreciated.
I will put a poll in as well to make it easier.

Thanks

filecat13
06-27-2004, 08:19 AM
These speakers have generated some discussion on AVS Forums where all of the users so far have had very nice things to say. Some non-owners have tried to put them down by talking about past JBL products, but of course that's an ignorant approach.

I've heard these, and they sound very nice.

N. Abstentia
06-27-2004, 01:00 PM
If you're limited to only those 4, I would go PSB. None of them would be near my first pick though.

RGA
06-27-2004, 01:08 PM
Buy what you can hear first. Owner reviews are less helpful unless you know they have had a wide experience with a lot of gear. Anyone can order something off the net listen to it and give it a great review especially if they only have some boom box to compare it to. They are useful for build quality.

You can get an entire B&W set-up for $900.00GBP which may interest you as well http://hifichoice.co.uk/review_read.asp?ID=2727 click on the picture of the connectors will show the speakers.

Jim Clark
06-27-2004, 02:23 PM
I'm a bit surprised that you would have JBL and Infinity on your list but not Jamo. Any reason not to include them? I'd think that they should be fairly easy to listen to, depending of course on where you live in Norway. Maybe you just don't like them and that's of course fine by me. Just curious is all.

jc

teekay21
06-28-2004, 07:29 AM
I don't know when it comes to JAMO they might be good speakers... I just don't know.
Those 4 choices was yesterday, today thast list is "outdated". PSB and JBL is still on the list. But I have discovered that I can get the E90 (instead of E80), E30 and EC35 for about 1833$. I have also included SYSTEM AUDIO, DALI and QLN speakers to my list instead of AUDIO PRO and INFINITY.

QLN is a swedish brand that comes with new surround speakers kit in couple of weeks, and I really love the design of the front speaker: http://www.hi-fi-center.no/shop_item.cfm?path=7,22,112&id=917

filecat13
06-28-2004, 08:10 AM
The E90 is a really nice step up from the E80, which is a very good speaker. If you haven't heard both, give them a listen, and you'll see what I mean. Well worth it...

teekay21
06-28-2004, 09:17 AM
Oh yee, thats the thing. I forgot too mention that I have the possibility to listen to all of the speakers, mention in my last post. Just a 90 minutes drive frome where I live. When receive my Yamaha RX-V 650, I will bring it with me and use a whole day listen to the different speakers.