Good In-Wall + In-Ceiling Speakers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Good In-Wall + In-Ceiling Speakers?

DrJeff
12-02-2003, 01:27 PM
Building a new home, and looking for some suggestions for decent (but not exorbitant) built-in speakers. I'll be running the theatre off of a Yammie RX-V1400 and using Zone 2 out to power a simple multi-room audio system (2-ch amp and imp matching volume).

In my last home I had some Polk RCi 6.5 in-ceilings that were pretty decent...any suggestions on a good quality but reasonably priced speaker line?

Jeff

alan.meier
12-07-2003, 10:28 PM
I have been researching this of late as I am putting a system in my bedroom and my wife insists that everything is hidden. I have decided upon the Gallo Adiva as the system I will be using and they will either be sunken into the wall or in the ceiling.. There are three speakers brands that I liked for in Wall/Ceiling they are:
Kef
B&W
Gallo Adive/Nucleus Micro

http://www.kef.com/products/ciseries/ci200qt.html
http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.ranges/label/Range%20In%20wall%20Series
http://www.roundsound.com/products/accessories.html

audiotang
02-29-2004, 04:23 PM
I know this is much too late since your home is probably already built but... for anyone else out there, I auditioned NUMEROUS in-wall speakers and sent back several that I bought. Regardless of price, the sound in most even brandname in-walls was lousy at best. I was surprised to hear the HTD speakers... available mail order only. They are much better than anything in their price range, and outperform many very expensive in-walls. At $80 a pair they are astounding. Detailed and accurate, very clear highs and balanced overall sound. Great service too, check them out at www.htdaudio.com

Biggest disappointment were the BIC in-walls. Reaonably priced, true, but the sound was unadulturated mud. Very disappointed, since I have had BIC products in the past that were OK.
[

QUOTE=DrJeff]Building a new home, and looking for some suggestions for decent (but not exorbitant) built-in speakers. I'll be running the theatre off of a Yammie RX-V1400 and using Zone 2 out to power a simple multi-room audio system (2-ch amp and imp matching volume).

In my last home I had some Polk RCi 6.5 in-ceilings that were pretty decent...any suggestions on a good quality but reasonably priced speaker line?

Jeff[/QUOTE]

pelly3s
02-29-2004, 04:27 PM
Jamo makes great inwall speakers. I have installed them in numerous homes and other places. There are a lot of companies that make good inwalls and ceiling speakers which are a lot better than the polks and cost less. I am also a fan of the Dayton ones you can get through parts express for a reasonable price.

koop
02-29-2004, 04:48 PM
I'm more of a building professional than audio pro. That being said, I can speak to the in wall wiring. I have seen this butchered in many homes. Your electrician who usually takes on the work may not be the man for the job, at least not without monitoring or direction. Often the cheapest wire they can find at Home Depot is used and run long distances for their ease of installation, not great audio. To avoid interference, run the wires apart from all the electrical lines(opposite side of joist or stud bay at minimum. Some pros in the forum can probably recommend appropriate wire and jacks.

pelly3s
02-29-2004, 07:43 PM
any good quality CL3 rated wire made for inwall use will work for the job. and koop you are right keep the speaker wire as far from the electrical as possible, just like with any low voltage lines.