A/V Receiver heat build-up. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : A/V Receiver heat build-up.

hyperdude
06-26-2004, 03:52 PM
How warm does the average amp get? I have a Panasonic SAXR25 600W 6.1 Digital Reciever. I finally got my HT all together and after about an hour of running it the reciever gets pretty hot.

Hotter than "warm to the touch" but only slighty cooler than burns on contact. If you leave your hand on it for 5-6 seconds you really feel it. That's the best way I can describe it without actually busting out a thermometer.

The hottest spot is on top right behind where the speaker cables are connected.

Is this normal?

uncooked
06-26-2004, 10:12 PM
depends on volume. if youve got it a good 3/4 + volume then its going to heat up. but if your talking like 1/4 and less with that much heat thats not normal for most receivers. but the type of panny your talking about are the really thin ones i believe right.

i have the sahe75 panny, and it to gets quite hot even after 5 - 10 mins if i push it hard so if your talking somewhat high volume i think your ok.

cam
06-27-2004, 08:08 AM
How warm does the average amp get? I have a Panasonic SAXR25 600W 6.1 Digital Reciever. I finally got my HT all together and after about an hour of running it the reciever gets pretty hot.

Hotter than "warm to the touch" but only slighty cooler than burns on contact. If you leave your hand on it for 5-6 seconds you really feel it. That's the best way I can describe it without actually busting out a thermometer.

Is this normal?
Your receiver, which is digital, from what I have heard is supposed to run cooler then your typical receiver, thats the reason there are no heatsinks. I use to have a technics receiver (same company) that was a MOSFET design and it would be blistering hot at any volume, I now have a Denon without this problem. I do share your concern because my newest sub has a digital amp with no typical heat fins on the amp which I was use to gets very warm-almost hot, and also stays warm all the time even when not in use. They do say digital amps run cooler but I think that they could have still incorporated some small heatsinks somewhere.

topspeed
06-28-2004, 10:17 AM

Is this normal?
Houston, we have a problem.

One of a switching amp's claim to fame is its ability to run very cool, hence no heat sinks. I have a class D and it never gets even close to warm. Hell, if you didn't put a mirror under it's nose, you think it was dead ;).

I noticed your amp is rated for 6 ohm loads. What are your speakers? If they are less than 6 ohms nominal, they may be simply too much for the Panny to handle. In addition, you don't have a bunch of stuff stacked on top or around your receiver, right. In other words, make sure it does have room to breathe. I've never personally used this receiver but that kind of head build-up doesn't sound right. Have you tried calling Panny?
http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SupportModelDetail?storeId=11251

hyperdude
06-28-2004, 01:12 PM
my speakers are rated at 8 ohms. Breathing room shouldn't be a problem since it has it's own shelf and nothing is around it.