Yet...another DVD player upgrade question! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Yet...another DVD player upgrade question!

alman
06-26-2004, 01:50 PM
I'm looking for a new dvd player, since my Pioneer DV-414, which is about 10+ years old needs to go retire in a bedroom somewhere.
Looking for a player that is less than $500 out the door. Something that will play dvd-r+w-w+rw-rw,you get the gist.
Also would like (if the price is right) to have SACD/DVD-A, MP3 capabilities.

My set up is old, but works for me...
Sony 36xbr250 tv
Sony DA333es receiver
Cambridge Audio d500 cd player
Panasonic something or other vcr

Thanks for any advice...

ronning
06-26-2004, 04:12 PM
I'm looking for a new dvd player, since my Pioneer DV-414, which is about 10+ years old needs to go retire in a bedroom somewhere.
Looking for a player that is less than $500 out the door. Something that will play dvd-r+w-w+rw-rw,you get the gist.
Also would like (if the price is right) to have SACD/DVD-A, MP3 capabilities.

My set up is old, but works for me...
Sony 36xbr250 tv
Sony DA333es receiver
Cambridge Audio d500 cd player
Panasonic something or other vcr

Thanks for any advice...

I'm in the market for a new DVD player, too, although my budget is a bit lower (max $300) but I'm looking for the exact same capabilities. I've found the Samsung DVD-HD841 to be a good player which has SACD/DVD-A/MP3/WMA/DVD-R/DVD-RW capability plus it also has "1080i" DVI output. With your budget I'd actually try the higher end model which has Faroudja DCDi progressive scan: DVD-HD931.

There's a few others, perhaps some higher end ones which have more compatibility with DVD-r-w-r--++- etc. I'll let you know if I come across something.

alman
06-27-2004, 04:50 PM
Hey Ronning,
Thanks for the info. I guess with all of the other audiophinatics are either really shy or dont have any opinions on dvd players :confused:
I guess I might just have to plunk down another 250 bones and just get the Denon DVD-2900 or the Sony 999ES, since those are the two I really want. I dont know if these players will make my tv picture look any better, since my Wega is old and doesnt have progressive scan. Any thoughts?

N. Abstentia
06-27-2004, 05:03 PM
After trying the Denon, I went with the Marantz 6400. Plays all the above mentioned formats and was $500 cheaper than the Denon..but then again I've never liked Denon's players in the first place so it would have had to have been special to make me get it :)

It wasn't.

lumiere
06-27-2004, 06:12 PM
After trying the Denon, I went with the Marantz 6400. Plays all the above mentioned formats and was $500 cheaper than the Denon..but then again I've never liked Denon's players in the first place so it would have had to have been special to make me get it :)

It wasn't.
Hi.
How are you liking the Marantz? I've had it for 4 months and I'm pretty satisfied?.

Cheers

N. Abstentia
06-27-2004, 07:27 PM
Hi.
How are you liking the Marantz? I've had it for 4 months and I'm pretty satisfied?.

Cheers

Oh I love it. I've only had it for maybe close to a month, but I've had my eyes and ears on it for a while. I dismissed Denon early in the testing phase and I was waiting to see how good the new Toshiba 5 disc changer would be, even though I knew it wouldn't be as good given it's $300 cheaper. Sound quality being the main concern, the Marantz smoked the Toshiba (as was expected..the Toshiba okay for it's price though) so I went ahead with it. Still would liked to have had a changer, but I'll get over it :)

alman
06-28-2004, 06:55 AM
Oh I love it. I've only had it for maybe close to a month, but I've had my eyes and ears on it for a while. I dismissed Denon early in the testing phase and I was waiting to see how good the new Toshiba 5 disc changer would be, even though I knew it wouldn't be as good given it's $300 cheaper. Sound quality being the main concern, the Marantz smoked the Toshiba (as was expected..the Toshiba okay for it's price though) so I went ahead with it. Still would liked to have had a changer, but I'll get over it :)

I guess a little coaxing helped :D . Thanks to both of the reponses about Marantz. I didnt even think about them until now. I found a place online that is selling the 6400 at $399. Any comments about this retailer?

Accessories4less.com (http://www.accessories4less.com/Amazing/itemdesc.asp?CartId=5921596E-EVEREST-WKFF397&Cc=&ic=MAR+DV6400&tpc=&BC=MARANTZ)

Mark
06-29-2004, 05:49 AM
Hey Alman,

I've made a number of purchases from Accessories4less, including a Marantz DVD player...I got the 4300. Check to see if the player you are interested in is a refurbished unit...mine was. They are forthright about this, but this may change your decision about the unit.

I have found that their customer service is excellent. I recieved phone calls to clarify my order, as some components (for cables) were not compatible, as well as e-mail notification of shipping. Products arrived quickly.

I'm a very satisfied customer, and would recommend them to you.

mark