Need speaker suggestions... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need speaker suggestions...

Bleer
06-25-2004, 11:26 PM
I'm trying to put myself together a wee system, see.

My father has a pair of Magnat Mig - Ribbon 10's he purchased in the early 80's (they retailed for roughly $3000 Canadian, I believe). At the meager age of 15, however, $3000 is a little much :p .

In comparison to the other speakers in the house--Acoustic Research 215 PS, Mission 760i, Magnat Sonobull SB-1 Trinity--the difference in quality is quite amazing (understandable, comparing prices). The Mig - Ribbon 10's have an unrivaled clarity to them. After having grown accustomed to these puppies, I don't think I'll be able to settle for anything less :D .

I've been searching for that once-in-a-lifetime used or DIY deal but have been largely unsuccessful thus far.

Can anyone familiar with the aforementioned Magnats suggest a speaker that will land me as close as possible to sonic bliss for significantly less? I'd prefer to buy used, or, alternatively, assemble the speakers myself.

Seeing as the majority of you probably aren't familiar with this specific speaker (my dad seems to have a taste for German products), are there any general outstanding bang-for-your-buck deals I should be made aware of?

I must bear in mind the speakers will be placed in my bedroom (approx. 9' x 12'). Little guys are probably my best bet, but I can't resist the lure of the majestic floorstander. The Magnats are just so damn punchy and yet remain incredibly clear (in part, I reckon, due to the alleviated need for the loudness control).