Speaker help!!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker help!!!!

Jayjutsu
06-25-2004, 09:02 PM
Hey I'm a newbie just trying to start building a home entertainment system.

I just purchased a yamaha 6.1 htr-5750 and now I need to buy speakers. I can get a really good deal on Wharfedale Zaldek Series but I have never heard any of there speakers before. the ones I"m looking at are the Zaldek 2000, 1000, and 600 and then Zaldek surrounds and center. I can also get a good deal on athena towers too... Does anyone know anything about either brand and which would give me the best sound for music and movies.

I listen to pretty much everything.

Thanks

chimera128
06-25-2004, 09:24 PM
Listen to both set of speakers before you decide which to buy. People can give you lots of opinions on whether or not they like those speakers, but is ultimately decided by your own ears.

AZHT
06-25-2004, 11:22 PM
Jayjutsu, sounds like you work at a best buy. Here's some Wharfdale info: http://www.iagamerica.com/wharfedale/zaldek.htm I'd look at the Klipsch speakers they carry too. Very efficient, good for rock music and movies. Also, use the Yamaha's YPAO feature once you get all your speakers.

Jayjutsu
06-26-2004, 07:18 AM
Your correct I work at bestbuy and that is my problem we don't carry wharfedale speakers so I have no way to hear them and campare. But the deal we get on them its really good. Thus my problem.

Should I just go for the wharfedales or it is it better to buy something that I can hear first.

markw
06-26-2004, 10:02 AM
If you work at best buy, you should check out the Athena series.

Jayjutsu
06-26-2004, 11:05 AM
Yea the atheana's where my other choice. Just didn't know if the wharfedale's would be a better deal. I can get there Zaldek 2000 cheaper than the atheana's.

RGA
06-26-2004, 11:22 AM
My only concern is that they have spring clip connectors and won't take bannana wiring.

I can't understand that but it's cheap to have changed.

Horn speakers are a take it or leave it thing. I should imagine if you like the sound of Klipsch these would be pretty good. I have Wharfedale Vangaurds from the late 1980s early 90s which were the companies best speakers and used a horn - though they look nothing like these Zaldeks - my horn tweeter is round and rather small - and far more sensitive than these Zaldeks.

They look to be more about rock and aimed as they claim for a DJ crowd - so I would expect them to play pretty loud.

They state "A radical departure from the norm, the brand new Zaldek range is designed specifically for the dance and rock music enthusiast. A high-octane blend of adrenaline and power with serious hi-fi undertones, these speakers are for the discerning listener who loves to live life on the edge."

This is actually quite similar advertising for my Wharfedales. It will depend largely on how the treble is handled - they are pretty low sensitive for a horn which may mean they've harnessed them a bit smoother. They certainly look like a lot of fun - and I would take a lot of fun over some cheap speaker trying to pretend they're competing with high end speakers. I seriously doubt Best Buy or stores like it are going to offer anything for the same money that is going to be a lot better and certainly aren't going to look any cooler.

Blue woofers? LOL I mean they look like a lot of fun - they probably rattle the walls real good and considering Wharfedale's other speakers - these are probably not bad at all. They appear to be about loud and rock on the cheap with neat looks - Get me a blue carpet,drapes, walls, and couch and sign me up for Zaldeks - ohh and some blue canned beer - Labats or Kokanee and a fish tank and I'm set. They may not be the most accurate speakers on the planet or present the philharmonic with ultimate realim but nothing in the price range does.

I would post your question on the Hi-Fi Choice forum out of Britain and ask people there what they think. Wharfedale has more presence in Britain and people there will likely be able to help you more than this American/Canadian board where Wharfedale is rarely discussed. The Diamond series they may recommend over the Zaldecks but tell them the sound you're looking for because the Zaldeks look like they have more thunder than what the Diamond's are capable of. They really look like they'd be a fun speaker and assuming they are not a total disaster (doubtful) then they may not be too bad. http://forum.hifichoice.co.uk/index.php

markw
06-26-2004, 12:05 PM
The wharfedales use spring connectors? I'd expect more from them.

RGA
06-26-2004, 12:28 PM
Just this Zaldek line for some reason - At least that's what the site says - They may put better connectors on for the North American market - then again? It's not a big deal - but it does give the impression they're cheaping out - but impressions are not always reality.

46minaudio
06-26-2004, 04:12 PM
If you work at best buy, you should check out the Athena series.
I agree not, often do I reccomend speakers but the ASB1s are a hell of a bargain..Give them an in home audition..IMO at $139 a pair its hard to beat unless you go DYI...

markw
06-26-2004, 05:11 PM
I agree not, often do I reccomend speakers but the ASB1s are a hell of a bargain..Give them an in home audition..IMO at $139 a pair its hard to beat unless you go DYI...

Actually, the F2's are on sale at Audio Advisor for $399/pr. That's what I paid for my F1's two years ago!

Mebbe BestBuy will meet the price, particularly for an employee?

Bryan
06-28-2004, 07:02 AM
If you work at BB, look towards Athena or JBL speakers. Wasn't overly impressed with Athena though thought the JBL E90s and E20s were good. Don't forget to check out the used market as you may find a better bang for your buck.

Jim Clark
06-28-2004, 10:29 AM
Just a suggestion, but if you have a CompUSA in your area they may be carrying that Warfdale line. My CompUSA does so there's at least some hope for you.

I edited out some additional comments cuz in the end it really doesn't matter what I think. all I'll say is that a good deal is hard to pass up but but make sure you really like what your getting. In the end a great deal alone may not be enough to keep you happy with something if you really wanted something else.

good luck to you,
jc

Jayjutsu
06-29-2004, 02:22 PM
Thanks for everyones input really helped me out a lot..

Jason