Can you burn a decrypted movie on a DVDR to another DVDR? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Can you burn a decrypted movie on a DVDR to another DVDR?

hershon
06-25-2004, 06:26 PM
With DVD Shrink I have no problem burning encrypted DVD's (i.e. commercial movies) other than it burns at 6X (even though my burner goes up to 12X and I have it on maximum) but I have not been able to then burn another decrypted DVDR from my DVDR.
What actually happens is the decrypted DVDR I just burned freezes my computer almost every time I put it into the DVD ROM drive. Is there a way to burn a decrypted DVDR from a decrypted DVDR on a computer? Also how does one swap space on a drive. Specifically I have 36 gigs on drive C but only 2 on drive D- how can I transfer 4 gigs over from C to D? Any input will be welcome. Thanks

N. Abstentia
06-25-2004, 07:37 PM
Using Nero, you can just do a disc to disc copy. Put what you want to copy in your DVD-Rom, put a blank in the burner, tell it to copy then sit back.

As far as moving drive space, you'll need to reformat and re-install Win XP from scratch using a smaller C drive (like maybe 5 gigs) then you can set up your other drives within XP. It would be easier to just buy a new hard drive though. Slap it in, format, and you're done.

Slosh
06-25-2004, 09:10 PM
I'm not clear on what you have. Are you saying you have a DVD-ROM drive in addition to your DVD burner drive? If so, just rip with the burner (obviously, if it created the disc it can read it). If not, I don't know what the problem may be. Your copies are already compressed and have the copy protection eliminated so it should make for a bit-perfect copy of the copy and you'd just use your normal burning software and not DVD Shrink. Does your burning software leave the image file on your hard drive after you've burned a DVD-R? It won't take many DVDs to fill up a 40 Gig drive so delete the image files when you're done with them (if it's not done automatically, that is).

Regarding the rip/burn speed from your other post -- I've been kinda experimenting with DVD Shrink's "Deep Analysis" and the default setting and have found the Deep Analysis does indeed make cleaner copies but takes a hell of a lot longer. I say it's worth it if you've got the time but the regular copies ain't bad either. Also, your burner may be set to 12X speed but that doesn't mean anything if you're using 4X DVD-R blanks. My limited experience echos what others here have said: it's the rip that takes the most time and the burning itself is relatively quick.

hershon
06-25-2004, 10:01 PM
Here's the problem- maybe you can explain it to me. When I put the DVDR copy I just burned (on my external DVD burner) in my internal DVD (Player) drive to lets say just play it, it won't and freeezes the computer. The same DVDR will play normally on my regular DVD players. To make copies of a DVD I have to put the source DVD in my DVD (player) Drive and a blank DVDR in my external DVD burner that's connected to the computer by USB. I have the latest Nero and DVD Shrink software. Anyway, to burn from the original commercial DVD even if encrypted is no problem. But I can't seem to burn from a DVDR source copy and make a duplicate DVDR as the DVDR source copy somehow makes the computer freeze.

My system is Windows 98 SE. Is it possible to swap gigs in the C drive to the D drive- maybe thats causing the problem as I only have 2 Gigs in the D drive and only 1/4 of that is free space. I don't know what a D drive does- its listed as disc storage.

In regards to my DVDR burning speed, while my burner says it goes up to 12X, it seems
to be burning DVDR's listed as 1X-4X speed, at 6X. Whats confusing is that if it was 6X then surely it could burn a 2 hour DVD in less than 30 minutes but it takes about 1 hour and 45 minutes, albeit the copy is flawless. I don't even mind the time because unlike burning CDR's, I can actually minimize the DVD burner and it will continue to burn and not mess up, and I can get on the internet while it is burning. Are there DVDR's that list at 8X and 12X and are they more expensive? I didn't see any at Office Depot where I got the DVDR's Verbatim brand, for a good deal- buy 1 pack of 15 and you get the other pack of 15 free.

Any illumination will be most greatful.

I'm not clear on what you have. Are you saying you have a DVD-ROM drive in addition to your DVD burner drive? If so, just rip with the burner (obviously, if it created the disc it can read it). If not, I don't know what the problem may be. Your copies are already compressed and have the copy protection eliminated so it should make for a bit-perfect copy of the copy and you'd just use your normal burning software and not DVD Shrink. Does your burning software leave the image file on your hard drive after you've burned a DVD-R? It won't take many DVDs to fill up a 40 Gig drive so delete the image files when you're done with them (if it's not done automatically, that is).

Regarding the rip/burn speed from your other post -- I've been kinda experimenting with DVD Shrink's "Deep Analysis" and the default setting and have found the Deep Analysis does indeed make cleaner copies but takes a hell of a lot longer. I say it's worth it if you've got the time but the regular copies ain't bad either. Also, your burner may be set to 12X speed but that doesn't mean anything if you're using 4X DVD-R blanks. My limited experience echos what others here have said: it's the rip that takes the most time and the burning itself is relatively quick.

N. Abstentia
06-25-2004, 10:15 PM
Windows 98? Sheesh, I wouldn't attempt any of this with 98. How old is your computer??

hershon
06-25-2004, 10:22 PM
About 3-4 years old 900 MHZ. For my basic purposes buying a new one serves no purpose.

Slosh
06-26-2004, 05:47 AM
Use your DVD burner drive to rip copies of copies. It'll definitely work.

I've seen 8X rated discs. I know faster ones are coming but haven't seen them in the stores as of yet. It won't matter for you though since the bottleneck in your system is the USB's transfer rate. But hey, it could be worse. If you went with a stand-alone you'd only be able to make real time copies ;)

I can't answer your HD question but there are plenty of PC forums out there at your disposal...