Connecting two receivers - help! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Connecting two receivers - help!

douglasbjordan
06-25-2004, 02:41 PM
I have a Denon 2805 and Denon 1803 receiver and I'm trying to connect them (so I can have two receivers in two rooms but play music simultaneously in both rooms when I want to).

I tried connecting the Optical Out from the Denon 1803 to one of the Optical In sources on the Denon 2805, but the 2805 isn't putting any sound out. This was with the Denon 1803 just acting as a Tuner, which (I think) should produce a signal on the Optical Out line for things like Minidisc recording.

Any suggestions? Is there something special I hafta do to get a receiver to send a signal on out on its Optical Out line? Are all sources put into the 1803 receiver automatically sent to the Optical Out line, or just certain ones (the manual confused me on this point)?

Thanks in advance.

markw
06-25-2004, 02:49 PM
Doesn't the 2805 have dual zone capabilities? If so, why bother with this stuff? Just add a power amp and be done with it.

In any case, your best hope of doing what you have to work is using the "tape out" of one unit into an analog line level (auxillary) input on the other unit.

If worse comes to worse, you may have to resort to using a preamp out from one receiver to analog inputs on the other, perhaps to aux input. With this second scenario, be vary cautions with the levels being sent. Your best bet would be to use ther power amp inputs.

douglasbjordan
06-25-2004, 05:06 PM
Doesn't the 2805 have dual zone capabilities? If so, why bother with this stuff? Just add a power amp and be done with it.
I have a home theater system in my living room with the 2805. I have my computer in my office with the 1803. I want to be able to play music on the computer and have it in both rooms at the same time and vice-versa.

In any case, your best hope of doing what you have to work is using the "tape out" of one unit into an analog line level (auxillary) input on the other unit.
Thank you for the suggestion! I connected the analog line and it worked for the Tuner. Then I connected an optical cable (had to borrow one -- I just got the new receiver today and have only needed one optical cable till now =) from a DVD player to the 1803 and the signal went through it to the 2805 via the optical cable that was connecting the two. Now that I've seen this will work I can get the rest of the cables and run the connections between rooms.

I guess the Tuner signal doesn't go out on the digital connection at all. So in the end, I'll just keep both the analog and digital connections hooked up simultaneously and each source will go through the correct connection.

markw
06-25-2004, 05:24 PM
And, as such, will never make it to a digital output. The only signals that will make it to the receiver's digital output must first enter the receiver in the digital domain.

At least with both methods in use you'll have all your bases covered.