Can these Klipsch 5800 in-wall speakers be better than similarly priced RP5000F tower [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Can these Klipsch 5800 in-wall speakers be better than similarly priced RP5000F tower

lithnights
11-27-2020, 12:44 PM
I need speakers for a soon to be finished basement 5.1.2 area. See attached picture of the area. I am trying to decide between tower speakers and in-wall speakers. I've read countless posts and articles on this ("in-wall will never sound as good as tower" vs. "SOME in-wall can beat out SOME tower" etc.), but still am not sure of how to proceed. The area will likely be 75% movie watching, 25% music listening. I'll have a SVS SB1000 subwoofer. Receiver will likely be Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A1080

I have already (due to a sale) purchased Klipsch RP5000F for left and right and 600C speaker for center. My wife would prefer in-wall but says I should get what sounds the best to me, thus my purchase of the RP5000s.

The PROS of the in-wall: I'd be able to be spread them out further from the center channel, and wouldn't impede into the room and have my 3 crazy tween/teen boys or my guests running into them somehow. I also just found them on sale, marked down 33% from other retail sites.

The PROS of the the towers: Would likely sound better, but would they in this case? In chatting with a well known A/V company, one consultant suggested the in-wall Klipsch R-5800-W II for LRC would be comparable, if not better than the RP5000. Is that likely?

What are thoughts on these 2 options? What would you get? I don't have the ability to hear them side by side in any store unfortunately.

Thanks in advance!

SPECS:

Klipsch 5800 in-wall:
pivoting Tractrix® horn with 1" titanium tweeter
8" Cerametallic™ woofer
power handling: up to 50 watts RMS (200 watts peak)
frequency response 40-23,000 Hz (±3dB)
sensitivity 94 dB
8-ohm impedance
treble and mid-bass attenuation switches

Klipsch RP5000F:
1" LTS (Linear Travel Suspension) titanium diaphragm tweeter with Tractrix® horn
dual 5-1/4" Cerametallic™ cone woofers with rigid and lightweight voice coils
frequency response: 35-25,000 Hz (±3dB)
sensitivity: 96 dB
power handling: up to 125 watts RMS (500 watts peak)
impedance: 8 ohms compatible
bass-reflex design with rear-firing Tractrix port