Front Projection screen advice... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Front Projection screen advice...

jxnew
06-24-2004, 11:19 AM
Hi..
I am going to buy a front projector (leaning towards Infocus 4805.. but open to other suggestions).
1) Is there a huge difference between something like 4805 and an entry level HDTV projector when it comes to over the air HD programming? Also between Infocus 4800 and 4805.. Is 4805 worth the extra $400? I imagine my screen would be at about 70" diagonal maximum, considering the fact that I can't sit farther than 12-13 feet from the screen.
2) The second purchase would be a decent screen at $500 or below. I want the screen rolled down to its base.. I should be able to keep it on a flat surface/wall at about 3 feet high from the floor and raise it (manually or electric) upwards when needed. To put it simply, the family don't want any strange looking object placed high on the wall or ceiling. Please suggest what you think might work.. Thanks in advance.

Teddyaudio
06-24-2004, 11:50 AM
Hi..
I am going to buy a front projector (leaning towards Infocus 4805.. but open to other suggestions).
1) Is there a huge difference between something like 4805 and an entry level HDTV projector when it comes to over the air HD programming? Also between Infocus 4800 and 4805.. Is 4805 worth the extra $400? I imagine my screen would be at about 70" diagonal maximum, considering the fact that I can't sit farther than 12-13 feet from the screen.
2) The second purchase would be a decent screen at $500 or below. I want the screen rolled down to its base.. I should be able to keep it on a flat surface/wall at about 3 feet high from the floor and raise it (manually or electric) upwards when needed. To put it simply, the family don't want any strange looking object placed high on the wall or ceiling. Please suggest what you think might work.. Thanks in advance.

Go to www.projectorcentral.com to find lots of useful information on projectors. You should be able to find some information on the two you are interested in. A 70 inch screen is a nice size, but a bit small by projector standards. Most of the projectors will give you a 100 inch screen from 10 to 13 feet back. So a 70 inch screen should be a lot closer. I am thinking of running a 100 inch in our 34 x 14 foot room. I will be about 10 to 12 feet back. Take masking tape and frame in the size of your screen to get an idea about screen size. I am looking at the Sanyo PLV-Z2 because of budget. It appears to be a great projector for $1795 delivered online. You can get some screen sizing information at www.carada.com and some budget priced screens. Hope this helps.

Ted

jxnew
06-25-2004, 07:34 AM
Thank you. I will check projectorcentral.

diy theatre
07-21-2004, 02:09 PM
If you can get past the issue of having the screen permanently mounted on the wall you have another very affordable option. At http://www.diytheatre.com you will find a diy projection screen material that you build yourself. This means that you have full control over the size of your screen and you will not have the wrinkle issues associated with traditional roll up screens. This is not a screen paint but rather a professional screen coating with non-interference pigments that are exclusive to DIY Theatre projector screens. You can see more details of the advantages at http://www.diytheatre.com/why_diy_movie_screens/index.htm . You will like the control you will have over the screen gain and contrast. Hope this helps.

stan2
07-22-2004, 04:48 PM
i was just about to post an idea -------- i'm thinking along similar lines and also would rather look at something other than a big white rectangle on the wall, as would the wife; want it stretched well and flat, but dont want to spend $3K for a good motorized retractable screen. so... i'm thinking the answer is to get screen material, attach it well to the wall, put the non-reflective velvet or felt or whatever that is around the perim and leave it all in place, but have some wall hanging, quilt, other piece of art hanging in front of it that i can pull out of the way for a movie. i suppose you could rig up some hinged panel that would flip up, but i have a couple nice soft art pieces i could use. when it's movie time, just unnattach the top or pull it up like a roman shade, more or less. this could be done with varying degrees of cheesyness... ie, bad or better decorating execution. but it gets that freekin screen on the wall.