Rookie Questions. Please don't make fun :) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Questions. Please don't make fun :)

hyperdude
06-23-2004, 11:58 AM
Yeah....I'm new.

1. I have a 6.1 A/V reciever. It was suggested to me to use a 2nd center channel speaker for the rear center position. Makes sense to me but will a regular speaker like the front and rear left/right speakers also be okay?

2. If I wanted to save a bit of money could I just hook up a 5.1 speaker system to my 6.1 reciever and then upgrade later? Will having 1 less speaker affect the power going to the others? I would assume it wouldn't but I'm not sure.

3. What do the grills on speakers do? I suppose they can offer some sort of protection to the domes and tweeters but do they serve any purpose acoustically? Does it matter if they are on or off?

4. I found a coaxial cable in my basement. What do I hook up with it? Does it go from my TV to me reciever or my DVD to my reciever?

5. Why does my reciever have a "TV IN" and a "TV Out"?

hyperdude
06-23-2004, 11:59 AM
I also just realized I posted this in the wrong forum. I really am new. LOL

This Guy
06-23-2004, 12:23 PM
1. Yes a regular speaker will work fine.

2.Yes you can run the receiever with a 5.1 system, the two surround channels will make all the sound that was supposed to be sent to the rear center so you don't lose anything. All your channels will have a little bit more power going to them if you run just five speakers, but not enough that you would even notice.

3.Basically protection and cosmetics. Not all people like stairing at those cones. Also, some companies use the grills to tame down the higher frequencies, so they may seem a little bright if you take the grills off.

4.The coaxial cable you use to get cable television to your TV right? If so just connect it to your TV's coaxial/antenna input. For audio see #5

5.The "TV in" is for getting the audio sent to your TV from the coaxial cable, dish, or cable box. Take the audio outputs from your TV and connect them to your receivers "TV in". The TV out would be used if you had a cable box or dish. For this you would connect both the audio and video to the receiever. Than with the TV out you would then connect that to the video input on the TV. Make sense?

-Joey