Dismemberment Plan fans [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Dismemberment Plan fans

mad rhetorik
12-02-2003, 10:15 AM
I've heard lots of buzz on this band. Judging on how people describe this band, I might like 'em. Which albums are recommended for a D.P. newb? Thanks.

Stone
12-02-2003, 10:34 AM
Which albums are recommended for a D.P. newb? Thanks.

Start with Emergency & I - hands down.

-Jar-
12-02-2003, 11:00 AM
I've heard lots of buzz on this band. Judging on how people describe this band, I might like 'em. Which albums are recommended for a D.P. newb? Thanks.

I think the universal response will be EMERGENCY & I.

-jar-

Davey.
12-02-2003, 12:42 PM
http://members.mailaka.net/davey/dplancover.gif

Slosh
12-02-2003, 01:57 PM
OK, yes, Emergency & I is most definitely their best and destined to be a classic. Get it and spin it four times and you'll kick yourself for not getting it sooner ;)

That being said I think Change is more accessible, though not quite up to par with E&I. Ah, fvck it; get 'em both :)

Davey.
12-03-2003, 09:58 AM
I notice that none of us really mentioned anything about the band or tried to describe them for you, so I'll give it a quick shot now. You're obviously a Discipline-era King Crimson fan and there is some of that sound in their music, especially on the E&I album that most of us rec'd. And there's some XTC and Joe Jackson and a bit of Talking Heads too. But there is also a bunch of newer era sound that reminds one a little of Fugazi and Jawbox and some of those bands. Maybe some Shudder to Think, although they're a bit more obscure. As is the Braniac (Enon predecessor) connection, which is one of their strongest links. But what is so striking to many is the funkiness of the music. Early Talking Heads is probably my best comparison, but with more of that Joe Jackson vocal approach. But a little more agressive than either and neither is enough to adequately describe their sound, hence all the other names I tossed out. There are a couple songs on E&I that do remind me a lot of something like Elephant Talk from KC. At other times the music just makes you wanna dance :)

In any case, the D-Plan (as their fans lovingly refer to them :-)) is no more, as you probably know by now. Each of their last three albums has its share of proponents and each has its strong and weak points, IMO. But E&I continues to shine the brightest for me and still sounds fresh almost 4 years after my first listen. Not many albums or artists today you can say that about. They were a very unique band and we're all hoping that the upcoming Travis Morrison solo career will continue to bring us more fun in the future.