Main Speaker Poll [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Main Speaker Poll

Lord Nikon
06-22-2004, 07:01 PM
How do the Magneplanar MMG's compare to the Ascend Acoustics CMT-340M Mains? I have a CMT-340C center and it rocks. They are very similar in price so I wanted to see how you felt about them.

I forgot to mention, THESE WOULD BE MAINLY USED FOR HOME THEATRE!

Bryan
06-23-2004, 05:00 AM
Won't vote here but will say as you already have the Ascends center why not get the mains too? The Magnepans are an entirely different breed of speaker so you would have to repurchase a center if you decided to go that route.

Geoffcin
06-23-2004, 02:32 PM
How do the Magneplanar MMG's compare to the Ascend Acoustics CMT-340M Mains? I have a CMT-340C center and it rocks. They are very similar in price so I wanted to see how you felt about them.

I forgot to mention, THESE WOULD BE MAINLY USED FOR HOME THEATRE!

Unless you've heard them and like them. MMG's are a great speaker, but are limited in both bass responce, and total SPL. From your post it looks like you like your music loud, and your just not going to be happy with MMG's especially if your driving them with a receiver. I've considered using MMG's in my HT setup as surround speakers, but as with all Magnepans MMG's are very revealing of upstream components and to have them play at thier best would mean adding another quality amp too.

HECKLERANDKOCH40
06-24-2004, 11:44 AM
I have Polk Speakers and Harman Kardon Reciever and Amps and I for one do not know what I would do if it wasn't for what I have. I researched and read every review out their just about and unless your willing to spend thousands and thousands of dollars what i have is great. now later down the road if I ever hit the lottery I will probably look into a more advanced and more power HT system. :D