Any experience with the Yamaha Rx-V1400? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with the Yamaha Rx-V1400?

JSE
12-02-2003, 09:21 AM
I have decided to shell out some mula for a new digital receiver. I am currently looking at the Yamaha RX-V1400 and the Denon 2803. The Yami looks great but I am having a hard time finding reviews on it since it is new. I'm trying to stay with Yamaha or Denon beacuse my company offers a discount program with certain vendors and this is what they carry.

Any experiences or advise would be greatly appreciated on the Yamaha. I am also considering the RX-V2400 but it looks like the only real differences are the Pro-Logic IIx, which I would not use with my 5.1 setup, and a little more power, also not needed.

TinHere
12-02-2003, 11:04 AM
I have decided to shell out some mula for a new digital receiver. I am currently looking at the Yamaha RX-V1400 and the Denon 2803. The Yami looks great but I am having a hard time finding reviews on it since it is new. I'm trying to stay with Yamaha or Denon beacuse my company offers a discount program with certain vendors and this is what they carry.

Any experiences or advise would be greatly appreciated on the Yamaha. I am also considering the RX-V2400 but it looks like the only real differences are the Pro-Logic IIx, which I would not use with my 5.1 setup, and a little more power, also not needed.

I have the RX-V2400. I'm very happy with it. YPAO or the equivilent is something that should be incorperated into most receivers in the future. It really works and makes set-up a breeze for a plug and play guy like myself. The 2400 has an "editor" that allows PC-Receiver interconnectibility via the RSC232 port if you like to "tweak". You can change and store settings and then transfer to the receiver. Here's a link about it:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=319863

The newer releases of the 1400's DO have DPLIIx as do the newer 2400's. It should be labeled on the box.

There is a lot discussion there about the 1400 on other threads if you want to take a look.

I almost went with a Denon 3803 but YPAO tipped the scales for me when bigwally said it was a "no brainer". Why not get the latest features? Oh, and it sounds fine to my ears. I don't think the current field leading Yammie will disappoint you.

Woochifer
12-02-2003, 11:49 AM
You might want to go back to the old forums and look up Nick's review of the RX-V1400. Really, the most significant new feature that Yamaha introduced with their latest receivers is that parametric room calibration function. (The newer receivers are also THX certified, but I don't regard that as a feature or improvement, so much as a seal of approval) A lot of people on this board have been touting the importance of room acoustics and using parametric equalizers with subwoofers. The YPAO is a feature that addresses these issues, and the people who've tried it out have noted the clear cut improvement that it makes.

From personal experience, I can vouch for the steep learning curve and time involved with calibrating a subwoofer using a parametric equalizer, as well as the significant improvement that it makes in overall system performance. With the YPAO, the calibration and equalization are done automatically in a matter of minutes, and you can still fine tune the settings if you know your way around. Within the next couple of years, you'll probably see this feature incorporated into a lot of other receivers. For now, Yamaha and Pioneer have done the most with it.

JSE
12-02-2003, 12:22 PM
Thanks Wooch and TinHere,

I will look up those reviews.

I have an SPL meter, but I admit it is a pain to use. The YPAO sounds like it would be a great feature. Do you guys think the YPAO could be used with my set up? I have Boston VR965 fronts with built is subs. So, I have two subs in reality. They would be run the same as a stand alone sub would be from the LFE via a Y-splitter. I'm thinking it would work. If it does not, no big deal since I can use my SPL meter. Hell, if the YPAO works, maybe I will sell my meter on EBAY. Looks like there going to be hard to find soon.

I can get the Yamaha for $555 via my discount plus about $30 shipping but I am thinking I can get free shipping if I push. The Denon would be about $500. Both from a authorized dealer with full warranty.

Muchas Gracias.

JSE

Woochifer
12-02-2003, 12:33 PM
I have an SPL meter, but I admit it is a pain to use. The YPAO sounds like it would be a great feature. Do you guys think the YPAO could be used with my set up? I have Boston VR965 fronts with built is subs. So, I have two subs in reality. They would be run the same as a stand alone sub would be from the LFE via a Y-splitter. I'm thinking it would work. If it does not, no big deal since I can use my SPL meter. Hell, if the YPAO works, maybe I will sell my meter on EBAY. Looks like there going to be hard to find soon.

It would definitely work with your speaker setup. The disadvantage of built-in subs is that the towers are not always positioned where you get the most even bass response. The YPAO can correct the most significant flaws in your in-room frequency response, but it's limited in the number of filters that it can setup. With a subwoofer, you typically don't need to do more than two major adjustments to significantly improve the overall system performance. The YPAO allows you to tweak the settings, so keep the SPL meter if you decide that you want to do fine tuning.

I can get the Yamaha for $555 via my discount plus about $30 shipping but I am thinking I can get free shipping if I push. The Denon would be about $500. Both from a authorized dealer with full warranty.
JSE

Double check on the warranty with Yamaha. Yamaha typically does not allow for any mail order sales on its RX-V series receivers. Mail order sales are authorized for the HTR series, but I don't think that the HTR equivalent model for the RX-V1400 has come out yet. Even though Yamaha products are generally reliable, they are one of the stricter companies when it comes to enforcing their warranty policies. And I don't even think that their service centers will work on a unit purchased through an unauthorized source, even if you offer to pay for repairs.

JSE
12-02-2003, 01:04 PM
Woochifer,

The store I will be ordering from is a Local Store on the west coast that has a discount program with my company that does not generally do mail order type sales except for my company's discount program. The salesman assured me that the full warranty would be valid. However, I will double check to be sure. I read in the Forum that TinHere ref. to that some people have been able to get the 1400 for $529 delivered at 6thAve.com. 6thAve seems to state they are an authorized dealer but maybe the warranty would not apply based on what your telling me. I tend to be a little wary of ordering online when a warrnty is an issue. I would rather be safe than sorry.

Thanks for the great info.

JSE

TinHere
12-02-2003, 01:46 PM
Woochifer,

The store I will be ordering from is a Local Store on the west coast that has a discount program with my company that does not generally do mail order type sales except for my company's discount program. The salesman assured me that the full warranty would be valid. However, I will double check to be sure. I read in the Forum that TinHere ref. to that some people have been able to get the 1400 for $529 delivered at 6thAve.com. 6thAve seems to state they are an authorized dealer but maybe the warranty would not apply based on what your telling me. I tend to be a little wary of ordering online when a warrnty is an issue. I would rather be safe than sorry.

Thanks for the great info.

JSE

The online deal at 6thAve is over as far as I know. The units they sold are under warranty, but as I understand it they shouldn't have been selling that series online. Good deal while it lasted. I think you should be fine for the warranty if they are an authorized dealer, but do check.

boca
02-21-2004, 10:43 AM

Hi buddy.. If you buy latest WHAT HI_FY it is UK magazine you might be surprised
(I am not) that DENON 2803 is reviewed as the BEST BUY of the year 5 stars. Of course you can go further in selecting some more advanced items. This unit is really TOP for that money.
I have model bellow; 1804 which I would not trade for any Yamaha. To my taste, Yamaha is great but has a bit brassy sound... no warmth.

regards

Bob