Tuesday.....Show us your ****s [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday.....Show us your ****s

audiobill
06-22-2004, 06:09 AM
Show us your lists. I especially enjoyed MGH's UK list -- off the beaten path than most.
If you haven't seen the thread, yet; you might want to check it out.

Tuesday's here, so here's my short list.

Wilco -- Summer Teeth
Pulled this one out after reading several reviews of their latest offering. What a fantastic album!! In fact, I will even venture so far as reclaiming this album their "best" -- in keeping with the spirit of the Guardian's list. (P.S., I've heard nothing from their latest..but I'd love to)

The Fall -- Extricate
MOJO, another UK press pub recently had a celebration of the Fall's "best" albums. Since this is the only one I have, I thought I'd give it a good spin. Man, what a travesty that this band never garnered the recognition they deserve. What a voice!! And what lyrics!!

That's it.
Perhaps someone else can share their truncated list(s) with us this Tuesday.

Cheers,
audiobill

mad rhetorik
06-22-2004, 06:32 AM
Portishead: <b>Dummy</b>
Pixies: <b>Surfer Rosa</b>
Joy Division: <b>Substance</b>
Nobody's Industrial Trax comp

Dave_G
06-22-2004, 07:10 AM
Camel - Rajaz - I like it but it's kind of a weird album. Not my fave by them.

Karmakanic - A prog group led somewhat by Roine from TFK. Sounds like more TFK music for the most part but a little less noodling.

Jadis - view from above - DVD - this is a recent gig. Jadis could be better, they are good but never really "get going" if you know what I mean, kind of "prog lite", but enjoyable nevertheless.

Ozzy - Bark at the moon - pretty good hard rock.

Kansas - my "non remastered yet still even komp". I pulled select trax from Kansas, Monolith, and Song for America. That old school Kansas music is excellent, ya'll should check some of it out sometime.

Pendragon - the Window of life - Troy gave me this, it's killer to me, but I love that kind of music, it's classic prog.

Opeth - Damnation - this cd is regular rock music without that growling vocal, not bad, pretty mellow stuff actually.

Dave

nobody
06-22-2004, 07:16 AM
Got most of my stuff packed, getting ready to move. So, I'm limited right now to what CDs fit in a couple shoe boxes until I get resettled. I'll just toss out a few things I've listened to lately.

<b>Shaggy: Mr. Lover Lover</b>
I don't recall this guy getting much if any talk around here, probably too poppy. Am I the only one who likes him? This collection has all the hits you'd expect: Boombastic, That Girl, Summertime, Oh Carolina, Nice and Lovely, etc... Great fun mainstream dancehall from the 90s. Don't get too worried about the lyrics on this one. Mostly, they're just about getting laid, but so what. This one is for fun, and makes a great summer party disc, deep bass-filled grooves with some fun covers tossed in with the hits, many of which rely on samples of mostly mainstream stuff anyway.

<b>Violent Femmes</b>
The Rhino edition adds demos, singles and a second disc of live stuff to really pack this reissue full of fun. I'm glad to have the Ugly single and some of the demos are pretty interesting, but really the record stood just fine on it's own. The live tracks are OK, but nothing spectacular. I tend to be skeptical of releasing stuff from the vaults. I figure there's usually a reason things don't get released. Interesting bonus material, but nothing good enough to really change my mind on this one. Still a great record though. If you don't have it, get it. And, you may as well take all the extras if they're just giving 'em away.

<b>Willie Dixon: I Think I Got the Blues</b>
Reissue CD from Classic with excellent sound on these 70s versions of some of his big songs, including I Just Want To Make Love To You, Wang Dang Doodle and more. Willie's one of my favorites when you're talking blues and this one certainly doesn't diasppoint. He's in fine voice and the band is in great form. I think this is outta print, but if you like Blues and come across it I'd say it would be well worth picking up.

That's it...just making a mini-list this time. Listened to more, but I'm not tellin'. I may have to go grab a couple new things to make all the driving I have coming up pass more quickly. Between moving and an out of town wedding, I'll be spending a ton of time on the road. I'll probably grab the latest Mum, and maybe the latest McLusky. Any suggestion of other new stuff I should be looking for?

audiobill
06-22-2004, 07:45 AM
Hey, nobody.

Do you have the Franz Ferdinand disc, yet??
I just bought it, last week based upon the frenzy of recs it's been receiving here, at RR, and I am very pleased.

Franz Ferdinand is my suggestion to you.
Bill :)
Any suggestion of other new stuff I should be looking for?[/QUOTE]

newtrix1
06-22-2004, 07:47 AM
<b>Shaggy: Mr. Lover Lover</b>
I don't recall this guy getting much if any talk around here, probably too poppy. Am I the only one who likes him? This collection has all the hits you'd expect: Boombastic, That Girl, Summertime, Oh Carolina, Nice and Lovely, etc... Great fun mainstream dancehall from the 90s. Don't get too worried about the lyrics on this one. Mostly, they're just about getting laid, but so what. This one is for fun, and makes a great summer party disc, deep bass-filled grooves with some fun covers tossed in with the hits, many of which rely on samples of mostly mainstream stuff anyway.

Great description, I 2nd everything you said :). I have his Boombastic release and it gets quite frequent spin time during the summer months. In fact I listed it in the "What song means summer to you" thread awhile back:
http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?postid=33023#poststop
Does your cd include "Heartbreak Suzy", it's one of my favs from the album.

other than that, lets see:
The Who: Who's Next (my son asked me if he could put some music on for fathers day. I said; 'you pick something and put it on for me'. this is the album he chose. That's my boy!! :cool: )
Bomb the Bass: Clear
Etta James: Lets Roll
one of Santanas greatest hits collections (forget the actual title, the bright orange/red album cover)
Public Enemy: Apocalypse '91 (I ilke this one better than "Nation/Millions")
Milla: The Divine Comedy
Stone Temple Pilots: 12 Graciuos Melodies (still pretty good after all these years)

nobody
06-22-2004, 08:16 AM
<b>Bill</b>
Yeah...got that Franz Ferdinand, and like it quite a bit. I'm too busy now, but a comp of old and new Post Punk stuff could be fun. Call it something like Now and Then and put Franz Ferdinand, Interpol, British Sea Power and other more modern ones on there with some Joy Division, Echo, and all the oldies. Maybe I'll cobble something like that together someday. If anyone likes the idea, please go for it. It could maybe include Black Rebel Motorcycle Club and Jesus & Mary Chain too. If no one else does, I'll probably get around to this just because I'd like it to listen to personally. It'll be a long time before I'll have a chance to get around to it though.

You ever get that Loretta Lynn disc? I wasn't sure I had the address right. Curious if it hit the spot or not. Sounds like not your usual fair, so it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't ,but just curious.

<b>Newtrix</b>
Nope, the Shaggy hits package doesn't have Heartbreak Suzy. Maybe I'll have to pick up the LP someday. I just always heard Shaggy at clubs and parties and wanted all the hits I was digging, so the hits package worked for me. Maybe I need to go firther. And, now that you mention it, I do remember you mentioning Shaggy, probably because it was a bit of a surprise as I don't see him as an artist that most folks here would dig too much. (or at least wouldn't admit they dig too much) Sounds to me like I could have fun raiding your hip-hop/urban/whatever euphamism you want to use for modern black music, collection.

Have you heard the whole Kanye West? Audiobill got me listening to that one, and it just keeps growing on me. (I may remember you mentioning it, but I can't remember for sure) The New Cee-Lo Green...is the Soul Machine is really good too.

And, by the way, that Milla is an excellent but often overlooked little gem.

newtrix1
06-22-2004, 08:38 AM
<b>Newtrix</b>
probably because it was a bit of a surprise as I don't see him as an artist that most folks here would dig too much. (or at least wouldn't admit they dig too much)

Yeah, a lot of good music gets blind-eyed by the term "pop"

Sounds to me like I could have fun raiding your hip-hop/urban/whatever euphamism you want to use for modern black music, collection.

That Bomb the Bass cd I mentioned above has been in daily rotation for me lately. It's a 1995 release, but I just picked it up recently. I should give it some additional time, but for now I'd easily reccommend it to you. check Half.com, I got my copy there for a few clams.

Have you heard the whole Kanye West? Audiobill got me listening to that one, and it just keeps growing on me. (I may remember you mentioning it, but I can't remember for sure)

Bill set me up with a try-before-you-buy copy as well. For me, it's a bit of a roller coaster ride, great at times, less than great at others. That song he does with Talib Kweli is a standout.

Lonesome Dave
06-22-2004, 08:48 AM
Paul K & The Weathermen - Love Is A Gas
one of the best of the 90s, even if only a few people bought it - destined to be a cult classic if I have any say - nice production by VU's Maureen Tucker and competent drumming by Wilco's Glenn Kotche, but K's songwriting and voice and guitar playing are still the big attractions

Honeydogs - 10,000 Years
easily one of the best of this year - finally got a nice major review (well, I mean besides <a href=http://members.mailaka.net/davey/dbireviews.htm#The_Honeydogs_10,000_Years>my doodles</a> :-)) at <a href=http://www.popmatters.com/music/reviews/h/honeydogs-10000.shtml>PopMatters</a> today

The Fruit Bats - Mouthfuls
Califone - Roomsound
Davey - Half Gone 2004 (subtitled: Escape from the Valley of the Sun)
Willard Grant Conspiracy - Regards The End
Devendra Banhart - Rejoicing In The Hands
Ghost - Hypnotic Underworld
tentoze - Poll This

Troy
06-22-2004, 08:51 AM
Scored a few new discs at the giant Amoeba store in SF when I had to run into the city there friday.

Mr. Bungle- Disco Volante. Yikes. This is really REALLY strange. A mess. I find the vocalizations that others firnd cool to be just stupid. There are some really great musical moments on here, but you have to wade through so much utter crap to get to it. It's a pain when the last 3 minutes of an 8 minute song is good.

The Cardigans- Life. Lacks the cynical edge of the other albums I have. Pure pap for bland euros. Like background music for those people in Mentos commercials.

Apollo Sunshine- Katonah. A rec from Finch that he later rescinded. I wish I recalled his rescinding it before I bought it. It's not that bad musically, rather Beatle-esque, but the recording is amateur hour at best. It's all distorted and ragged for no reason. Still, I could see PPG liking this one a lot.

Secret Machines- Now Here is Nowhere. Highly touted as the next big thing in many diverse places in the press, I listened to a few online clips a while back and thought, "Ok, but overhyped". They were playing the first track in the store and it struck me right so I bought it on impulse. It's a prozac and red wine kinda album. Slow, buzzy and droning, but there are some nice sinister chord progressions and big dramatic moments. Comparable to Radiohead and Flaming Lips in places. My big regret about it is that it sounds horrible. Way WAY over compressed and too much reverb and echo to the point of sludge. It's impossible to listen to with headphones.

Overall, a pretty lackluster bunch of CDs

Been making a ton of music in GarageBand.
http://www.designshed.com/toonage/SteakSandwich.mp3

Mr MidFi
06-22-2004, 09:17 AM
I'm playing the new Wilco. Don't have an opinion yet. Just wanted everyone to know I'm being very cool today.

I'm leaving tomorrow for my annual 2-week vacation romp, so you won't hear from me again until July. I promise to have stories when we return from Scotland.

mad rhetorik
06-22-2004, 09:30 AM
Mr. Bungle- Disco Volante. Yikes. This is really REALLY strange. A mess. I find the vocalizations that others firnd cool to be just stupid. There are some really great musical moments on here, but you have to wade through so much utter crap to get to it. It's a pain when the last 3 minutes of an 8 minute song is good.

Is that your first Mr. Bungle disc? If so...wow, you really jumped into the deep end of the pool. <b>Disco Volante</b> is up there with John Zorn's <b>Naked City</b> in its strangeness.

You should give <b>California</b> a shot. It's a lot easier to get into. Patton still does plenty of offbeat stuff with his voice, but the music flows a lot better and is more song-oriented.

Been making a ton of music in GarageBand.
http://www.designshed.com/toonage/SteakSandwich.mp3

Cool. I look forward to more music from you. Maybe a <b>Garage Band 2</b> is in order? If so, put me on the list. The first disc was great.

Pat D
06-22-2004, 09:56 AM
I'll just list LPs this week, some recordings I haven't heard for a long time.

Bruch, Violin Concerto No. 1. Zino Francescatti, violin; Thomas Schippers, New York Philharmonic. CBS MS 6351

Mendelssohn, Symphony No. 3 (Scotch), Hebrides Overture. Peter Maag, London Symphony Orchestra. London STS15091. Some of us think these are the classic recordings of both works.

Music for Mandolin and Guitar Ensemble. Vinzenz Hladky, The Vienna Mandolin and Guitar Ensemble. Turnabout TV 34239

Haydn, Symphonies Nos. 94 and 99. Josef Krips, Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra. London STS 15085

William Boyce, The 8 Symphonies. Jorg Faerber, Wurttemberg Chamber Orchestra. Turnabout TV 34133S

Mozart, Symphony No. 35 (Haffner), Overtures to The Marriage of Figaro, The Magic Flute, and Don Giovanni. Antonia Brico, Mostly Mozart Festival Orchestra. Columbia M 33888./ Antonia Brico was a pioneer among female conductors.

Sibelius, Symphony no. 2. Okko Kamu, Berliner Philharmoniker. DG 2530 021

Sibelius, Symphony no. 2. Pierre Monteux, London Symphony Orchestra. London STS 15098

Sibelius, 4 Legends from the Kalevala (aka Lemminkainen Suites). Lukas Foss, Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra. Nonesuch H-71203.

Songs of Italy, various composers. Beniamino Gigli, tenor. RCA LM-2095. Gigli was past his vocal prime, but still a fun record.

Glazunov, The Seasons; Concert Waltzes nos. 1 and 2. Ansermet, Suisse Romande Orchestra. London CS 6509

tentoze
06-22-2004, 10:07 AM
Not much new or exciting. Got a double live Derek Trucks Band cd in the mail that I haven't spun yet. A live Sara McLaughlin (sp?) EP in the mail that was nice.

Bob Neuwirth, Back To The Front (vinyl)- just a fantastic folky, twangy set of tunes.
Dan Hicks & His Hot Licks, Original Music (vinyl)- a long time favorite that still gets used frequently.
P. Simon, Rhythm of the Saints- didn't get the same props as Graceland, but I like it at least as much.
Damon & Naomi, More Sad Hits- still spinning this from last week's finds. Beautiful music.
Vic Chesnutt, Left To His Own Devices- see previous comment.

And more.............

Dusty Chalk
06-22-2004, 09:39 PM
I repeat listened to the new Ski/uppy in preparation for tonight's concert -- basically, if you liked the last ohGr album, but you'd like to hear cEvin Key's added, get The Greater Wrong of the Right.

Some new (for me, anyway) Piazzolla on SACD for two guitars (mostly) -- excellent! (Something Twins).

The new Ayreon is on repeat listen -- I'm actually listening to the lyrics on this one, go figure. I'm actually going to sit down with the lyrics and read through them. Labrie (I know, we hate him -- well I don't, not that much, especially not anymore, after this) plays "Me", girls play "Hope", "Love", and "Wife", Devin Townsend and Mikael Ackerfelt (?sp) play characters named "Rage" and "Pain" and stuff like that. Very excellent. But "Loser" reminds me of Spinal Tap's Stonehenge just a little too much. Still an enjoyable track on a killer album. Haven't watched the DVD yet.

I don't remember what else. I know, I suck. Whatever.

audiobill
06-23-2004, 06:22 AM
<b>Bill</b>
Yeah...got that Franz Ferdinand, and like it quite a bit. I'm too busy now, but a comp of old and new Post Punk stuff could be fun. Call it something like Now and Then and put Franz Ferdinand, Interpol, British Sea Power and other more modern ones on there with some Joy Division, Echo, and all the oldies. Maybe I'll cobble something like that together someday. If anyone likes the idea, please go for it. It could maybe include Black Rebel Motorcycle Club and Jesus & Mary Chain too. If no one else does, I'll probably get around to this just because I'd like it to listen to personally. It'll be a long time before I'll have a chance to get around to it though.

You ever get that Loretta Lynn disc? I wasn't sure I had the address right. Curious if it hit the spot or not. Sounds like not your usual fair, so it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't ,but just curious.

<b>Newtrix</b>
Nope, the Shaggy hits package doesn't have Heartbreak Suzy. Maybe I'll have to pick up the LP someday. I just always heard Shaggy at clubs and parties and wanted all the hits I was digging, so the hits package worked for me. Maybe I need to go firther. And, now that you mention it, I do remember you mentioning Shaggy, probably because it was a bit of a surprise as I don't see him as an artist that most folks here would dig too much. (or at least wouldn't admit they dig too much) Sounds to me like I could have fun raiding your hip-hop/urban/whatever euphamism you want to use for modern black music, collection.

Have you heard the whole Kanye West? Audiobill got me listening to that one, and it just keeps growing on me. (I may remember you mentioning it, but I can't remember for sure) The New Cee-Lo Green...is the Soul Machine is really good too.

And, by the way, that Milla is an excellent but often overlooked little gem.

Hey, nobody.
I did, indeed, get that Loretta Lynn disc. Very impressive countnwestn.
In fact, just the other day I had it and tentoze's Alt Gunfighters disc on rotation in the convertible........they are perfect on randomn play when the sun is shining, alternating between your disc and tentonze's.

Thanks-a-ton for the new direction (for me) in music,
Bill

Ex Lion Tamer
06-23-2004, 06:24 AM
Well it's already Wednesday, but what the hell...

New stuff, (only one listen of these so far, so my comments will be brief, and probably not very relevant):

The Constantines - Shine A Light; Took a chance on this one, judging from the one song I'd heard from this album on Stone's year-end comp, I thought it might be too heavy for my delicate tastes. My first impression is that the opening is probably the roughest sounding song on the album, and the rest, while not as raw, is certainly more accessible. (Caveat: only one listen so far).

Spoon - Kill The Moonlight; Took a long time to pull the trigger on this Spoon release, considering I have and really like their other three albums. But there it was (for the first time, I think), on vinyl at my local haunt, so I walked out with it. Not as immediately likeable as Girls Can Tell, but any Spoon is good Spoon.

Yo La Tengo - Electr-O-Pura; Davey wore me down with his ebullient praise for this one. Last night's first listen proved quite enjoyable...thanks Davey.

other somewhat older stuff...

Damon & Naomi w/Ghost
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Fever to Tell
Grandaddy - Sumday
Modest Mouse - Good News...
Les Savy Fav - Inches
The Wrens - The Meadowlands
Franz Ferdinand

Ray Brown Trio - Soular Energy
Kenny Dorham - Quiet Kenny
Sonny Rollins - Freedom Suite
Dexter Gordon - A Swingin' Affair

Davey
06-23-2004, 07:32 AM
Yo La Tengo - Electr-O-Pura; Davey wore me down with his ebullient praise for this one. Last night's first listen proved quite enjoyable...thanks Davey.
Ebullient praise, I like that. Makes me sound kind of bubbly or something. It has become my favorite YLT album over the years, kind of at the exclusion of some of the others that are arguably better. I find myself doing that often in recent years, concentrating almost solely on one album per artist and getting to know it intimately. PJ Harvey <i>Dry</i>, Ben Harper <i>Fight For Your Mind</i>, Stereolab <i>Emperor Tomato Ketchup</i>, Catherine Wheel <i>Chrome</i>, Built To Spill <i>Perfect From Now On</i>, and on and on. Guess it's because there just isn't enough time anymore to enjoy them all and really get to know them too. Guess there never really was enough time except in those old days when we could fit our whole record collection in one box, eh?

:)

tentoze
06-23-2004, 07:56 AM
.they are perfect on randomn play when the sun is shining, alternating between your disc and tentonze's.

Thanks-a-ton for the new direction (for me) in music,
Bill
Jeez, I knew I'd put on a little weight lately, but.................

:eek: