Best of these 4 prog albums (real poll) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best of these 4 prog albums (real poll)

PPG
11-12-2003, 08:31 PM
What's the best prog album from these?

DarrenH
11-13-2003, 05:29 AM
Tull's Thick As A Brick is more of a prog album than Aqualung and I would choose TAAB over the rest on that list. I never considered Tull to be a prog band anyway but the music critics of the time deemed Aqualung a concept album although Ian even denies that claim.

Darren

Jim Clark
11-13-2003, 06:19 AM
This must really be kicking for you. You can now poll to your heart's content and don't even need to add them up at the end of the day. FWIW, I elected not to vote since I haven't heard all of the albums eligible, and don't want to.

Have fun,
jc

Les
11-13-2003, 06:47 AM
I voted for ELP, principally as the album is fresh in my mind having just seen the Carl Palmer Band play some of it last weekend. Interestingly Palmer said prior to playing 'Toccatta' that he considered BSS as ELP's finest work.

Dave_G
11-13-2003, 07:11 AM
I'll take the Genesis album.:eek:

Why?

Fragile is about 50% killer, 50% filler.

ELP is good but not in the league of the Lamb.

The Tull is also real good but not really in the same genre as the Genesis.

But I like all of those albums.

Dave

kingcrim05
11-13-2003, 08:44 AM
Of all time is Dream Theater's "Scenes From A Memory" Hands down...

Find me an album with more creativity, muscianship and technical skills and i'll **** my pants

Troy
11-13-2003, 10:34 AM
PPG, your eyes must be glazing over at the potential!

Except for the ELP, not my faver albums by any of these artists and I like ELP the least of the 4.

Umrswimr
11-13-2003, 03:47 PM
Of all time is Dream Theater's "Scenes From A Memory" Hands down...

Find me an album with more creativity, muscianship and technical skills and i'll **** my pants

http://www.corvetteforum.com/zeroimg/smilies/iagree.gif

That was a great album. I voted Tull... :)

Dusty Chalk
11-13-2003, 03:51 PM
Badly chosen poll when "other" gets the most votes.

I voted for Tales from Topographic Oceans.

MasterCylinder
11-14-2003, 09:43 AM
I would definitely vote YES as the number one prog band but I would insert a different album......RELAYER or maybe CLOSE TO THE EDGE.

stupidestboy
11-15-2003, 11:27 AM
I like Fantastic Damage best myself.

PPG
11-17-2003, 06:46 AM
Badly chosen poll when "other" gets the most votes.

I voted for Tales from Topographic Oceans.

Agreed. I didn't do a hell of a lot of research for the poll - it was more or less to test the new forum. Please feel free to re-do it, Mr. Chalk.

Mr MidFi
11-17-2003, 03:08 PM
I'm going to be the one who gives props to the Fragile disc. Certainly, "Roundabout" is overplayed...but that's not their fault. OK, there's a certain amount of filler there (such as the brief Wakeman and Bruford ego trips), but for the most part, it's great stuff. Hey, that's why they sell chicken in parts I guess...but my vote is Yes!

3-LockBox
04-22-2008, 10:51 PM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Yes - Close To The Edge represents everything people like and detest about prog albums.

The Lamb has got some good stuff on it, but like I've said before, a concept album has to be coherent, and it ain't. Don't bother with the liner notes cuz Gabriel is even less coherent there. If you just look at it as a Genesis album, then its fine, though over-long.

Thank God I found this poll, cuz this thing has been deadlocked for years at: 4 votes Genesis, 4 votes other ;)

</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Mr MidFi
04-23-2008, 09:44 AM
Wow...another past blast! Umrswimer? PowerPopGuy? MasterCylinder! Takes me back...

GMichael
04-23-2008, 09:52 AM
Tough choice. Of these I would pick ELP. Yes is a close second, but as another said, Close To The Edge, or even Tormato would have been better picks for them. I'd like to throw in Rush 2112 and/or Moving Pictures for consideration. How about PF's Animals?