computer speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : computer speakers

registrar84
06-22-2004, 04:22 AM
Good day! Where would I find info on how to hook up regular speakers to my computer, or can that be done? Obviously I haven't heard all the computer speakers, but the ones I have are weak. I have at least 2 pairs of old speakers I could hook up. I was thinking about my Minimus 7(?)'s. Appreciate your help.

kfalls
06-22-2004, 04:37 AM
It's not too difficult, but you will need some type of receiver or amplifier. Purchase an adapter cable from Radio Shack or other electronics parts store which will connect between the 1/8" stereo headphone jack on your sound card to RCA plugs for the amp/receiver. I currently have my computer setup this way. I use the adapter cable between my sound card and receiver's tape input. I have a pair of Blue Room Minipods connected to my receiver and placed next to my monitor. Much better sound than with multimedia speakers. I get a lot of compliments as well.

Worf101
06-22-2004, 05:50 AM
You'll need either a sound card with audio outs (Creative Sound Blaster or Turtle Beach) or a motherboard with onboard sound and out puts. You'll need to run a signal from either of these sources to an amplifier or reciever (either 2 channel or AV) and hook your speakers up to there. Most sound cards have diagnostics so you can tweak and tune your system from there.

Hope this helps...

Da Worfster

Boy Lover
06-22-2004, 06:59 AM
I have my system hooked to my comp to so I can hear my games and music through my JBL speakers. I got this cord the first starts out as a normal headphone looking plug then at the end of the wire it makes it to a normal red and black cords that are used to hook up receivers and hooking other things like tv's and stuff. I think they are called the a/v cords. But I do recommend you use a receiver like I do so you would have enough power to play sounds off your comp since if you dont use it you wont have enough volume. I have done these things before since I was in 6th grade so I know how to hook receivers to comps. I am 19 now though so it was a while back. ;)