what center/soround and amp for b&w dm603s3 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : what center/soround and amp for b&w dm603s3

rb902
06-22-2004, 02:56 AM
which would be the best amp/center/soround would u experts suggest for b&w dm603 s3. thanks a lot for all your help.

Woochifer
06-22-2004, 10:51 AM
The amplification depends on what your budget is, and what you hope to accomplish with it. Typically, for a set of speakers in the 600 series budget range, you'll probably wind up with a midlevel receiver. Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, NAD, Arcam, Rotel, and Marantz all make decent midlevel models in the $800-$1,500USD range. The main differences between these receivers typically has more to do with their user interface, processing capabilities, and connectivity features, than anything significantly audible with the amplification itself. It's really those types of things that will vary a lot. The sound quality for comparably priced receivers is not going to vary nearly as much. Yamaha and Denon's midlevel models now come with a parametric room calibration function that partially addresses variations in the room acoustics, which IMO is a more significant factor in determining sound quality than most differences between amps, especially for speakers that are relatively easy to drive like the B&W 600 series.

As for the center and surround model. I would opt for the LCR600 center speaker and the DM601 as the surround speaker. Those two models use the same drivers that are in the DM603, and will likely give you the best tonal match. With home theater, tonally matching the speakers all the way around as closely as possible is the goal. B&W also makes the DS6 dipolar surround speaker, but in general I'm not a big fan of dipolar speakers, and B&W's previous versions of the DS6 were significantly lower quality than their main speakers. Give them a listen. Some people like the dipolar effect, but I don't.

The key to making it all work together is to get the setup done right. That means aligning the speakers properly (mains about 30 degrees off center, the surrounds 110 degrees off center), matching the levels using a SPL meter, and setting the delay timing to compensate for any differences in distance to the listening position.

rb902
06-22-2004, 09:15 PM
The amplification depends on what your budget is, and what you hope to accomplish with it. Typically, for a set of speakers in the 600 series budget range, you'll probably wind up with a midlevel receiver. Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, NAD, Arcam, Rotel, and Marantz all make decent midlevel models in the $800-$1,500USD range. The main differences between these receivers typically has more to do with their user interface, processing capabilities, and connectivity features, than anything significantly audible with the amplification itself. It's really those types of things that will vary a lot. The sound quality for comparably priced receivers is not going to vary nearly as much. Yamaha and Denon's midlevel models now come with a parametric room calibration function that partially addresses variations in the room acoustics, which IMO is a more significant factor in determining sound quality than most differences between amps, especially for speakers that are relatively easy to drive like the B&W 600 series.

As for the center and surround model. I would opt for the LCR600 center speaker and the DM601 as the surround speaker. Those two models use the same drivers that are in the DM603, and will likely give you the best tonal match. With home theater, tonally matching the speakers all the way around as closely as possible is the goal. B&W also makes the DS6 dipolar surround speaker, but in general I'm not a big fan of dipolar speakers, and B&W's previous versions of the DS6 were significantly lower quality than their main speakers. Give them a listen. Some people like the dipolar effect, but I don't.

The key to making it all work together is to get the setup done right. That means aligning the speakers properly (mains about 30 degrees off center, the surrounds 110 degrees off center), matching the levels using a SPL meter, and setting the delay timing to compensate for any differences in distance to the listening position.

thanks a lot man. really need the help. ok now the speakers are about 100-150 w so do i need an amp also that big or a 75w per chnl will do as well.

This Guy
06-22-2004, 09:30 PM
75 is fine

rb902
06-23-2004, 12:57 AM
75 is fine

thanks but i heard that atleast 100 is needed or else it does not sound half as good with the 75. is that true or a sales pitch. and which amp do u think would be the best

Woochifer
06-23-2004, 09:51 AM
thanks but i heard that atleast 100 is needed or else it does not sound half as good with the 75. is that true or a sales pitch. and which amp do u think would be the best

Total BS. Those B&Ws will already be unbearably loud with less than 10 watts of actual output going through them. Keep in mind that those wattage specs are useless unless they are actually measured with all channels driven and using a full bandwidth test signal. Almost all receiver specs are NOT posted this way, and in fact, most of the entry level models have significantly lower output per channel with all channels driven. Sound & Vision and other audio mags typically do their test bench evaluations with all channels driven. If you want a more accurate assessment of the true output, then look these up.

rb902
06-23-2004, 10:39 AM
Total BS. Those B&Ws will already be unbearably loud with less than 10 watts of actual output going through them. Keep in mind that those wattage specs are useless unless they are actually measured with all channels driven and using a full bandwidth test signal. Almost all receiver specs are NOT posted this way, and in fact, most of the entry level models have significantly lower output per channel with all channels driven. Sound & Vision and other audio mags typically do their test bench evaluations with all channels driven. If you want a more accurate assessment of the true output, then look these up.

thks. u really know yr stuff. k so which do u suggest Marantz SR4300, Denon AVR-1604, Marantz SR-5000, Denon AVR-2400, or any other brand. thanks again

RGA
06-23-2004, 11:04 AM
For the receivers I would buy the model that has the best warranty - the fetures you require and if you feel it necessary one with pre-outs. While power may be power I have found that with my speakers a power amplifier made a startling improvement over the poor power amp sections placed in most all recievers I have heard.

In Canada I bought the Marantz 4300 for $320.00Cdn - basically because the competition didn't have the preouts and all had 1 year less of a warranty.

SOme have complained about a hum - I have not had this problem - but i have made sure to ground the television cable which has affected all the amplifiers I have owned - some affected more-so than others.

If it has the featres and DSP modes - get the cheapest one you can - if it has a pre-out you can increase the performance by adding a power amp - otherwise you're stuck with the receiver. If music is not a priority it may not matter to you.

JSE
06-23-2004, 11:42 AM
rb902,

Remember also there is a difference between adding better power and adding more power. Just adding power to add power will not always make your speakers sound better. A A/V receiver with 110 watts per channel will not always make a speaker sound better than a receiver with 55 watts per channel. RGA mentioned adding an amp for better sound. This would most likely be an example of adding better power, not just adding more power. For example, you could have a 110 watt per channel A/V receiver that would sound like crap compared to a 10 watt per channel tube amp. It's more about quality than quantity.

Hope that does not really confuse you.

JSE

rb902
06-23-2004, 09:03 PM
rb902,

Remember also there is a difference between adding better power and adding more power. Just adding power to add power will not always make your speakers sound better. A A/V receiver with 110 watts per channel will not always make a speaker sound better than a receiver with 55 watts per channel. RGA mentioned adding an amp for better sound. This would most likely be an example of adding better power, not just adding more power. For example, you could have a 110 watt per channel A/V receiver that would sound like crap compared to a 10 watt per channel tube amp. It's more about quality than quantity.

Hope that does not really confuse you.

JSE

ok now i am really confused cause i am new to this. can u guys just give me the 2-3 best possible options (model no if possible) to which amp i should go ahead with for the bw 603, lcr 600, 601, and some sub whcih i have not decided either . thnks

topspeed
06-23-2004, 11:06 PM
Just like RGA said, just pick whichever one has the features you want and offers the best warranty. Honestly, in this price class you're probably not going to hear a startling difference between any of them. Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer, and Onkyo all make very well respected receivers so you can't really go wrong with any of them. They all have DPL2, DTS, and tons of worthless DSP modes but do they all have pre-outs? What about room equalization such as Yammies YPAO or Pioneer's self-equalization? This last feature is the best thing to come down the pike in a long while so look for it.

Good luck

JSE
06-24-2004, 05:32 AM
I would second Topspeed's suggestion about getting a new A/V receiver with an auto-calibration feature like the new Yamahas and some of the Pioneers. I have a Yamaha RX-V1400 and the YPAO feature works great. Cailibrating your speakers will go alot farther towards improving your sound than any difference between mid level receivers in terms of power. I can attest that the YPAO on the Yamaha 1400 is very easy to use and I would assume it's just as easy on the receivers below it.

Oh, I just want to clarify my last post. I am not saying A/V receivers have bad or poor power amp sections. I feel they are more than capable of driving most speakers. I feel my Yamaha is perfect for my Boston speakers. I see no need to upgrade at all, at this time. I am just saying more watts does not always equal better sound.

JSE