Replacing 6.5" speakers from Advent Laureates [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Replacing 6.5" speakers from Advent Laureates

LukeT
04-17-2020, 12:09 PM
Hi All. First post so hopefully I'm in the right forum.

I've got a pair of Advent Laureate (yes, I know, very old) that I'm trying to put back into shape. The foam around the midrange speakers have deteriorated.

Trying to get a direct drop in replacement but not sure exactly how the dimensions are spec'ed. This is what I have.

Would the Dayton Audio DSA175-8 6-1/2" fit and be a good choice?

Updated: These are some specs of the complete tower speakers I got from the web:
Specifications: Frequency Response: 42Hz ro 23kHz
Impedance {nominal): 6=8 ohms
Power Requirements: 10-150 Watts RMS
Sensitivity (2.83 Volts @ 1meter): 90 dB
Crossover Frequency: 3kHz
Freq.Range: Low 34Hz-8dB, High: 23kHz-3dB
Tweeter: 1" Ferrofluid parabolic soft dome
Woofers: 2x6.5" high excurs. aluminum coils

Thanks.

Jammon63
12-11-2020, 10:28 AM
I know it's been a few months, but since you have the original speakers, it's always a great idea to refoam them even if you don't plan on using. If you ever decide to sell it will make a bigger difference to some buyers if still original.
I bought mine off of fb for $25 with the pictures so dark I couldn't tell what model they were. When I met with the seller I saw they had been rattle canned gloss black with many, many runs and fish eye. Took a few days to strip all the wood back to it's original Pecan Glory but well worth it. They are beautiful and after a restain/clearcoat they are nice for ANY room in my home. I only wish these would have had the original 6.5" speakers rather than the Sylvania 20 watt ones they used to replace. I actually bought some GRS coated paper with butyl surrounds.......they sound pretty good and the top one being more a midrange is very detailed.....surprising.
Just thought I'd share my experience and love of these "mediocre" speakers. I recently refoamed a pair of Prodigy's and they aren't too shabby as well. LOL.

LukeT
12-11-2020, 05:02 PM
I know it's been a few months, but since you have the original speakers, it's always a great idea to refoam them even if you don't plan on using. If you ever decide to sell it will make a bigger difference to some buyers if still original.
I bought mine off of fb for $25 with the pictures so dark I couldn't tell what model they were. When I met with the seller I saw they had been rattle canned gloss black with many, many runs and fish eye. Took a few days to strip all the wood back to it's original Pecan Glory but well worth it. They are beautiful and after a restain/clearcoat they are nice for ANY room in my home. I only wish these would have had the original 6.5" speakers rather than the Sylvania 20 watt ones they used to replace. I actually bought some GRS coated paper with butyl surrounds.......they sound pretty good and the top one being more a midrange is very detailed.....surprising.
Just thought I'd share my experience and love of these "mediocre" speakers. I recently refoamed a pair of Prodigy's and they aren't too shabby as well. LOL.

Thanks for the feedback. I actually ended up refoaming the original speakers. I'm driving them with an older Yamaha receiver bought around the same time and they're sounding great again. Lacks the deep bass but that's expected.

Jammon63
12-12-2020, 04:44 PM
Yeah, I'm using a Paradigm PS-1000 with mine and a little goes a long way in an 8' x 14' room, LOL. Good Speakers in my opinion. I am currently looking to buy a set of originals to rebuild them to specs if the price is right.
For a bigger room I like my BA T930's.