5.1 Speakers (sats and sub) for 300-400 US [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 5.1 Speakers (sats and sub) for 300-400 US

user name
06-22-2004, 01:28 AM
I am thinking about getting an HK AVR 130 or equivalent (see my other thread), sats and a sub, however due to price restrictions (600 US, I'm a student) and my overly sensitive ears, I'm having a hard time finding anything that fits my requirements. I know sats and audiophiles usually don't get along too well. However, given the dimensions of the space the system will probably be used in (12 by 12 with lots of furniture) anything else, well, simply won't fit...literally. Now, obviously I've crossed out Bose and HT in a box manufactures, along with Athena, Polk, and many others (either because they're way too expensive or aren't actually meant to produce nice sound). The only systems I've seen that perhaps, but probably won't work (which I stress) are the Infinity TSS-450, new HK budget surround sound systems, and HUS Ventriloquist. I really want surround sound, but its starting to seem impossible. Are any of these systems worth further investigation or is there a better option I haven't come up with? Obviously I'm new to this, but I have a very sensitive ear, and need to please it.

markw
06-22-2004, 02:20 AM
They are all worth investigation. Assuming, of course, that that investigation involves listening itself. Without that, it's all just comparing numbers on paper or tabulating votes of others opinions, which may or may not match yours. Those Athena and Polk systems you dismiss are well liked by others.

"Good" sound is as personal and subjective as it gets. Particularly when one has a sensitive ear.

user name
06-22-2004, 02:32 AM
Well, I eliminated those in particular because they're too expensive for me.

markw
06-22-2004, 03:15 AM
With that 300 - 400 limit, you're really limiting any quality at all and, save an unvle in the business or a miracle, will be sorely disappointed if quality is one of the objectives. Think about it... 5 speakers plus a subwoofer? You'er firmly in the middle of the low end HTIB category.

Something's gonna have to give here. Perhaps something at http://www.hifi.com might help, but don'texpect concert hall sound.

Bryan
06-22-2004, 06:25 AM
B-stock Rocket (http://www.av123.com) Tykes may work for you though the sub will not be the most powerful. They go for $275 plus shipping. Your main problem will be the sub though you may be able to wait on a better one.

JSE
06-22-2004, 07:27 AM
User Name,

The hard fact is that for $300 to $400, a full 5.1 system is not going to sound all that great. I would suggest that you maybe spend the $400 on a pair of mains and then add a center, sub and rears are money allows. For $400, you could get something like these,

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051806301800&skuId=5335924&productCategoryId=cat03044&type=product

These two speakers will probably sound far better than a cheap surround speaker package. You will be suprised how good two channels can sound for movies. The Athenas are just an example and are very good for $400. There are lots of other makers out there but these are easy to find and are a good value. You might also look at Klipsch, Polk, Infinity and JBL to name a few. They all have mains in your price range.

If it were me in your shoes? I would go with two mains for now and add the other speakers later. I think you will get better sound this way.

JSE

user name
06-22-2004, 07:52 AM
Yes, I agree this is probably my best option (I know I took a little convincing). What are some other options for this price? It would be better if they were a little smaller, like bookshelf speakers perhaps, given the fact that I'm already short on floorspace. However, if those are what you need to get full sound with only two speakers, perhaps I'll even reconsider them eventually as well. Thanks,
Daniel

magictooth
06-22-2004, 08:13 AM
Yes, I agree this is probably my best option (I know I took a little convincing). What are some other options for this price? It would be better if they were a little smaller, like bookshelf speakers perhaps, given the fact that I'm already short on floorspace. However, if those are what you need to get full sound with only two speakers, perhaps I'll even reconsider them eventually as well. Thanks,
Daniel
The Tannoy FX 5.1 system would fit your budget of around $400. That will more than fill the space of your 12x12 room.

user name
06-22-2004, 08:54 AM
Well, I tried to delete this thread since I doubt it'll be any use to anybody but I can't figure out how. Hmm