B&W/Klipsch/Tannoy/KEF/Infinity??? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : B&W/Klipsch/Tannoy/KEF/Infinity???

rb902
06-21-2004, 09:21 PM
Can someone please help and tell me out of b&w/klipsch/tannoy/KEf which is the best for a 5.1 home ttheater. really confused here. Thanks

RGA
06-21-2004, 09:46 PM
The best is the one you think is the best. There is no best there is a preference.

It also depends on WHICH specific speaker you're talking about from these brands. B&W is the biggest from that lot - soome people like the Tannoy's best others will like the Klipsch etc. All get good reviews - all have been around a long time - all have deep pocketed owners - the best? For movies only it really doesn;'t make a huge difference - it's not like we have any hope to know what a car crash is supposed to sound like - a cello or a piano yes. I would personally lean toward B&W as a good all-rounder - Klipsh if you have a low powered receiver and like loud rock music - have not heard the new Infinities or the Tannoys - never liked their older stuff - except the big Tannoy Winchester.

But what I like is irrelevant. Start listening.

rb902
06-22-2004, 05:11 AM
The best is the one you think is the best. There is no best there is a preference.

It also depends on WHICH specific speaker you're talking about from these brands. B&W is the biggest from that lot - soome people like the Tannoy's best others will like the Klipsch etc. All get good reviews - all have been around a long time - all have deep pocketed owners - the best? For movies only it really doesn;'t make a huge difference - it's not like we have any hope to know what a car crash is supposed to sound like - a cello or a piano yes. I would personally lean toward B&W as a good all-rounder - Klipsh if you have a low powered receiver and like loud rock music - have not heard the new Infinities or the Tannoys - never liked their older stuff - except the big Tannoy Winchester.

But what I like is irrelevant. Start listening.

thanks man. i think i like the B&w's dm603, any suggestions what center amp and soround should go whtih that.

RGA
06-22-2004, 11:26 AM
The best center channel in that series is probably the LCR600. I would match with that one.

Buy a receiver that has the upgrade path - preouts so you can add on a power amplifier one day - at the budget end of the spectrum the Marantz units have that and that's why I went with them. Here in Canada they also had all of the features and a longer warranty than Yamaha and Denon etc - and was still the least expensive and the heaviest.

Sound quality is marginal amongst receivers - though Arcam and Nad seem to sound clearer. This site reviews receivers in a panel of listeners - and in a blind listening sessions with all the volumes the same. This way name brand and price bias doesn't hamper opinion of the units as much - this does not mean you will agree with them but it's something http://hifichoice.co.uk/review_list.asp?category=AMP&subcategory=MULTI