Anyone upgrade from a Yammie 55xx/rx-v1300 to a 5790? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone upgrade from a Yammie 55xx/rx-v1300 to a 5790?

pdawg17
06-21-2004, 05:47 PM
I don't know how many people happen to be in this situation but I have a 5590 and am very tempted to go after a 5790 but I'm not sure if it's "worth it"...I only plan on having a 5.1 setup but I had to compromise with my wife so my surrounds are in-walls and as you know are difficult to match up with the fronts...I'm curious if the YPAO would be able to do a decent job at it...I have an SPL meter but it obviously isn't going to do a great job at what I'm looking for...also, I have a Feedback Destroyer Pro to equilize my Hsu sub and am curious if the 5790 does the same job and therefore could I sell it?

Woochifer
06-21-2004, 06:00 PM
IMO, that upgrade's not worthwhile. Basically, the only new thing you're getting is the YPAO calibration and DTS 96/24. Those types of things make a difference if you're in the market for a receiver and you're comparing differet models. Between the 1300 and 1400, the amps are comparable, the digital decoding is otherwise identical, and all the other functionality is there. The RX-V1400 has been out since October, and if you're truly cost conscious, you should wait until about September for the clearance sales to begin on the current model. Or you can see what the successor to the 1400/5790 has in store.

Even with three bands of parametric equalization per channel, the YPAO alone will not be able to make up for the in-wall arrangement of the surrounds. It's more than just the frequency response that makes that arrangement nonmatching. Keep in mind that the YPAO calibration is only effective down to 60 Hz, so you should keep the BFD around even if you upgrade the receiver.