Year End Comp Offer [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Year End Comp Offer

Mike
12-02-2003, 08:52 AM
I've just finished my year end comp and I've sent a couple out to Davey and Jim but if anybody else wants one let me know either here or send me an e-mail. If I've traded with you before I'll probably have your address if not I'll get back to you.

It's a mixed bag of stuff and here's the tracklisting

1. Tosca - Gute Laune (4:54)
2. The Coral - Pass It On (2:13)
3. Blur - Moroccan Peoples…(3:01)
4. Kings Of Leon - Happy Alone (3:56)
5. Radiohead - Scatterbrain (3:17)
6. Beth Gibbons - Drake (3:50)
7. David Bowie - Days (3:17)
8. Dido - Stoned (5:48)
9. The Thrills - Big Sur (3:02)
10. Elbow - Fugitive Motel (5:48)
11. Grandaddy - The Warming Sun (6:07)
12. Martina Topley Bird- Stevies – days of a gun (4:28)
13. Super Furry Animals- Liberty Belle (2:50)
14. Stereophonics - Getaway (4:05)
15. The Neon Handshake- Retreat (3:41)
16. The Strokes - Reptilia (3:34)
17. Athelete - Shake Those Windows (5:03)
18. Cooper Temple Clause- Blind Pilots (3:59)
19. Jet - Come Around Again (4:30)

Cheers
Mike

JDaniel
12-02-2003, 09:06 AM
Mike,

I'd love one if you can spare one. The lineup looks great.

Hope all is well across the pond. It's about time for us to do a "swap" again. I'll email ya.

JDaniel

Davey.
12-02-2003, 09:17 AM
Hey, nice comp Mike. Just got my copy yesterday and gave it a once through last night. Really enjoyed that Tosca opener. Pretty cool. And the Kings of Leon was A-OK too. I'd heard the name a lot but not any music. Probably have to look into that one after the year end. Liked the Thrills and Stereophonics and most of the rest too. Kind of laidback, for the most part. Guess mine is too. Don't really understand why people listen to Dido, but if she would only answer my letters I'm sure we could be happy together. Thanks again!

BTW, got tentoze's in the mail yesterday as well and giving it a listen this morning (actually, just finished). Boy, he was sure in a quiet mood this year too. Some very choice music, though. Love that Joan Armatrading closer, almost sounds like a Christmas tune ;)

Anyway, keep em coming! I gots me year enders by Sloshy, Mikey, tentoze and Davey now.

NP: The War Criminal Rises and Speaks by Okkervil River from Down the River of Golden Dreams.....just got this CD last week and it isn't on my year end comp but it's still one of the very best albums I've heard this year. Nice review by Snowbunny back on the old board at http://forums14.consumerreview.com/crforum?50@186.ofOka7j4mtk.3@.ef9f85f and another very nice review recently at http://www.indieworkshop.com/reviews/504

nobody
12-02-2003, 09:47 AM
I'd like to get one if you don't mind. I see a bunch of stuff I like along with some things I haven't heard. Bound to be some new stuff I want to hear more of on there. If you need my address, let me know. Thanks, and just let me know anytime I can return the favor. My year-end probably won't happen until January though so I can see if I get anything during the holidays that I wanna include.

Jim Clark
12-02-2003, 01:05 PM
Boy howdy that's a good comp there Mike. I wanna be like Mike.

Got mine yesterday afternoon as well and have just had time to play it once. Some very good toons and I'll write up some comments later in the week. All I can say is that I'm glad I got my hands on this one! Oh yeah, got the jazz disc too, just haven't played it yet. Many thanks for both.

Regards,
jc

Dusty Chalk
12-02-2003, 04:31 PM
Don't really understand why people listen to Dido...Think of her as a less depressed, more "white", Beth Gibbons. I actually enjoy listening to those two back-to-back. I'm not saying Dido ain't got soul -- she does, just not as much as Beth. I mean, take for example, "Who Makes You Feel" -- I would love to hear that sung by Shirley Bassey or someone. It verges right on the cusp of being as bad and lifeless as Britney Spears covering "Satisfaction" or "I Love Rock'n'Roll"...yet, it's so meticulous and perfectly crafted (and thank gawd it's not a cover), that I actually enjoy it in a Peter Gabriel kind of way (poppy Peter Gabriel -- "In Your Eyes", "Come Talk To Me" -- not cool alternative Peter Gabriel -- "Intruder", "Darkness"). Without his gravelly voice. The other thing wrong with her (and by wrong, I don't mean actually wrong, I mean, "something about her that other people may not like, just a guess, I'm not pretending to know anything") is that her voice is too clean. Pretty much the aural equivalent of an airbrushed picture of a supermodel.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Sorry, that whole rant ended up sounding kind of negative -- fact is, I really like that new Dido disk, and listen to it a lot. So I was supposed to be defending her. Oh, well, I suck...

Davey.
12-02-2003, 04:45 PM
It verges right on the cusp of being as bad and lifeless as Britney Spears
See, that's exactly what I mean. Manufactured sound and silly lyrics. Kind of like an English version of Jewel. Or Beth Orton without the depth. Or Enya without the voice. Take your pick, it just doesn't do much for me. Love her videos, though. And really liked it when she initially performed with Em on Stan. Saw one of SNL I think, and she was sooooooo cool. Haven't seen anything she's done on her own with even a glint of that girl in it, even though it was her song all along. But I'm not very well versed in all things Dido :)

EDIT: But I gotta say, I did kind of enjoy the Dido song as a follow-up to the very nice David Bowie song on the comp. Nice bit of sequencing, Mike. And part of my Dido problem is just from seeing some of a lackluster concert performance a few years ago along with her recent performances all over the place of that kinda lame (IMO - don't take umbrage :-)) White Flag song. But all I meant to say initially was that I didn't quite understand her widespread appeal, nothing offensive about her, not even close.

Dusty Chalk
12-02-2003, 07:37 PM
...that kinda lame (IMO - don't take umbrage :-)) White Flag song.Well, just for the record, I'm not "taking umbrage", I'm "disagreeing". I really don't understand why you can like that Justin Timberlake song and not like "White Flag". Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Well I will go down with this ship
And I won't put my hands up and surrender
There will be no white flag above my door
I'm in love and always will be

Goes off to look up "umbrage (http://www.merriam-webster.com/sound/u/umbrag01.wav)" -- that's not the same thing as umbrellaage, is it?

chrisnz
12-02-2003, 11:40 PM
Hi Mike, that looks interesting. Lots of stuff I haven't heard and would like to. I'm at the same place if you're still mailing them out ;-)

Thanks, Chris.

Mike
12-03-2003, 12:06 AM
I'll post them out asap. Hey Nobody I don't have your address can you e-mail me with it please. And I've got one for you too RPM but I'm waiting to add something to it before I post it out.

Glad Davey and Jim like it anybody else want one jump on board. Dave the thing that attracted me to the Kings of Leon was they are produced by Ethan Johns who works a lot with Ryan Adams but they sure are an ugly bunch though!

As for the Dido, I wasn't too keen at first but the album does grow on you. She has that kind of characterless droning voice which gets under your skin, I sometimes listen to her and I'm not sure if she really can sing if you know what I mean. But that track is especially good it has a darker menacing side to it which goes well with Bowies upbeat slightly reflective song.

Cheers
Mike

audiobill
12-03-2003, 04:58 AM
Hey, Mike:

I'd love a copy, if it's at all possible, of your latest year-end comp.

There are several bands I'd really like to sample.

If you need my addie, pls lmk. I think you have it.

Cheers,
Bill aka audiobill

skewiff
12-04-2003, 06:46 AM
Hi MIke
Could I get acopy please.
I really liked the Thrills tracks on the Q and Mojo year end discs.
How is the rest of the album?
He's my e-mail
skewiff@provide.net
Thanks
Tony.