In need of surrounds [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : In need of surrounds

JeffBrecklin
06-21-2004, 01:06 PM
Hi my surrounds on my smaller advents have deteriorated. And i am in need of new foam surround kit. Does anyone know the size of the woofers and does anyone have an extra kit laying around will pay money for surround kit.

This Guy
06-21-2004, 02:27 PM
check ebay, get a ruler and find the diameter of the woofer from frame to frame and that's how big it is.

markw
06-21-2004, 02:28 PM
Really now. You have the speakers in front of you. If you can't grok how to find the size of your own woofer, how do you expect to be able to fix it yourself?

When you do find out what size your woofer is and yo feel froggy enough to tackle this project, check out http://www.newfoam.com among others.

JeffBrecklin
06-22-2004, 06:01 PM
the measurment is 9 and a half

uncooked
06-22-2004, 06:58 PM
best kits around

www.newfoam.com

JeffBrecklin
06-28-2004, 08:40 AM
Ok but how much do they charge and can they be trusted. Have you ever had a pair of speakers done by them. Because i had a bad experience buying off the net.

uncooked
06-28-2004, 05:17 PM
its got all the prices on the site. depending on size and how big of a kit. the deluxe is a good one and is like 25 bucks american or so. theyve been around along time and wont rip you off, you dont even have to do it over the net. phone em and then arrange sending a cheque or cash in the mail to them with the number order on it when they recieve it they will send the kit to you. no online banking required.

JeffBrecklin
06-28-2004, 05:19 PM
hello

uncooked
06-28-2004, 05:24 PM
?

hello????

whats going on

JeffBrecklin
06-29-2004, 08:57 AM
Sorry about that i didnt see your post i should probably look next time.

piece-it pete
06-29-2004, 10:00 AM
Jeff,

Refoaming isn't hard, although it is possible (though not nec. required!) to screw up one or two drivers while learning.

Read this:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20643

but don't be too worried if it seems confusing.

It goes like this (the way to not replace the dust cap):

1) Clean off the old foam. You might have to use a knife or scaper to remove the gasket first. Place the gasket off to the side, you'll need it later. On the cone, you can usually rub it off with your fingers. Don't worry about perfection, just make sure the loose stuff is off.

2) Glue the new ring to the cone. I use Elmers glue. I apply the glue to the cone, place the ring on, then remove it and let the glue "set up" for 15-20 minutes. It is generally better to use too much glue than not enough - it dries clear. After waiting for the set up (the glue will get tacky to the touch), place the ring back on and center it. Let this dry till the glue is clear, at least 2 hours. While it's drying keep an eye on it, make sure it's stuck down firmly.

3) After the glue on the cone is COMPLETELY DRY (totally clear), apply glue to the basket side. This is important, and usually the thing that gets messed up: push the cone down gently, moving it up and down. Make sure it doesn't "rub". If you're not sure what "coil rub" is, then gently move the cone on your speakers now, before you try refoaming, they'll be an almost grating, rough feeling - that is coil rub. I suggest you rip an old, crummy speaker apart to see what causes this, you'll have a better understanding. Anyway, after gluing the basket side, make sure there's no coil rub. Then, again, wait for the glue to dry. It will take longer than the cone side 'cause you can't let the glue set up. Keep an eye on it. Every time you touch it MAKE SURE there's no rub!!

After the glue dries clear, poof!! You've got a refoamed speaker. Hook it up and see if it rubs!

If it does: you'll have to refoam again.

If it doesn't: congratulations, you're an experienced refoamer! Glue the gasket back on, let it dry!!, and start playing! As you play it it will sound better, there is a break in period for new foam.

I buy my surrounds from MAT Electronics (online). The 10" rings should fit your drivers and are $1.50/ea + shipping, but they have a $25.00 minimum order.

I have an order coming into me shortly, if you're interested I'll shoot you a pair of 10" rings gratis (that means free!). Just send me a private message.

Pete