receiver compromise. please help [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : receiver compromise. please help

pwh03
06-21-2004, 09:05 AM
currently I have a stereo setup in my room but I am going to be switching to an h/t system. I currently have a denon receiver which I do enjoy but as i said its only stereo

I was just looking for som suggestion to narrow down my search

requirments
must be 4 ohm stable for the rears
must beable to power bw 602's about 80 watts
I will still be listening to more music so the receiver must beable to produce quality stereo music
besides this everything else is up in the air 5.1 will be fine and I will most likely buy used for under 500 if possible
integrated amplifiers are fine too
must have a subwoofer out

if it helps its in a small/medium room with an hsu subwoofer and klipsch rears

thanks for any direction you can provide

hershon
06-21-2004, 03:50 PM
JVC RX-DV31SL dvd/receiver (handles 500 watts) ,You can get the JVC receiver at a great price at Amazon.com or EBay between around $200- $275 on sale. It lists for $450. Sounds great

Woochifer
06-21-2004, 04:46 PM
Klipsch speakers are not 4 ohms, so why do you require a 4 ohm capable output into the rear channels? Also, is there any specific reason for requiring 80 watts for those 602s?

If you're happy with Denon, then why don't you start with the current Denon lineup and go from there? The Denon AVR-2803 is on closeout right now, so you should be able to find it for around $500. You got a bunch of "requirements" but ask yourself why you need them in the first place. Even most entry level receivers out there will meet those requirements that you specified. It's up to your ears as to how they subjectively sound to you.

JSE
06-21-2004, 08:09 PM
Klipsch speakers are not 4 ohms, so why do you require a 4 ohm capable output into the rear channels? Also, is there any specific reason for requiring 80 watts for those 602s?

If you're happy with Denon, then why don't you start with the current Denon lineup and go from there? The Denon AVR-2803 is on closeout right now, so you should be able to find it for around $500. You got a bunch of "requirements" but ask yourself why you need them in the first place. Even most entry level receivers out there will meet those requirements that you specified. It's up to your ears as to how they subjectively sound to you.

Klipsch are very efficient. You could drive the crap out of them with less than 10 watts. The Denon 2803 will be more than enough power for your speakers. Don't get too caught up in the watts game. The actually watt output of most A/V receivers is a quite a bit lower than what is printed in the receiver spec sheet. I don't know the exact numbers but for probably 99% of your listening at normal levels, you will never use more than a couple of watts to drive your speakers.

JSE

pwh03
06-21-2004, 10:44 PM
yeah I know the whole watt story is overblown but still it does play a big role

I don't need that much power actually just would be nice to have 50 or 55 would be fine

but my klipshc speakers are 4 ohms trust me its a long story. thanks though

I would like to do home auditions but I don't have a local dealer that would be willing to do something like that at 19 I just don't get that kind of trust around here yet.

and again I'm not looking for an answer just some suggestions to narrow down the search to many products to look at them all

most important requirments
must have subout
and about 60% music 40 % movies on the sound requirments

thanks for the help and the direction I'll keep looking hopefully you guys can point out some more good suggestions

Woochifer
06-22-2004, 11:30 AM
yeah I know the whole watt story is overblown but still it does play a big role

I don't need that much power actually just would be nice to have 50 or 55 would be fine

but my klipshc speakers are 4 ohms trust me its a long story. thanks though

I would like to do home auditions but I don't have a local dealer that would be willing to do something like that at 19 I just don't get that kind of trust around here yet.

and again I'm not looking for an answer just some suggestions to narrow down the search to many products to look at them all

most important requirments
must have subout
and about 60% music 40 % movies on the sound requirments

thanks for the help and the direction I'll keep looking hopefully you guys can point out some more good suggestions

Given your requirements, I think you should just get a Denon AVR-2803 on closeout and be done with it. As long as the store has a decent return policy, it's not a big risk to you. I doubt the 2803 will have trouble driving a pair of 4 ohm speakers, so long as those are the only 4 ohm speakers in your setup. Otherwise, you can look at a Yamaha, since their receivers are known for their low impedance capability.