newbie rear speaker wire question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : newbie rear speaker wire question

[RWTD]Barbie[GKR]
06-21-2004, 05:25 AM
I need to run wires to the rear speakers of my 5.1 speaker system in my new house next month. In the past (in an apartment) I just pulled up the carpet and ran the wires under it. I don't think that is too good for the carpet. Is there a better way? It is a smaller room in a single story house. I don't think I am handy enough to run the wires up through the wall and across the attic.

piece-it pete
06-21-2004, 07:55 AM
Barbie,

I've done two things: a couple of wire companies make a flat speaker wire, you can carefully staple it to your baseboards.

Any construction supply house (and some DIY type places) will have PVC rod cover, it's 4 ft pcs. of white PVC curled tightly to 1" or 2" "tubes", you decide. Simply run the wires through the PVC and bam-o, done.

Both are still visible but not nearly as much as plain wire. The SO approved mightily of both.

Pete

Superflat wire at accessories4less:

Beckman
06-21-2004, 08:29 AM
Barbie[GKR]']I need to run wires to the rear speakers of my 5.1 speaker system in my new house next month. In the past (in an apartment) I just pulled up the carpet and ran the wires under it. I don't think that is too good for the carpet. Is there a better way? It is a smaller room in a single story house. I don't think I am handy enough to run the wires up through the wall and across the attic.

Why not drill a small hole in the floor? You could also experiment with base molding.
try:
http://cableorganizer.com/surface-raceways/#A

markw
06-21-2004, 02:37 PM
If you can pull up the carpet, some flat speaker wire under it held down by some masking tape works great. No damage to cable or carpet and it's virtually undetectable. I did this for years in my apartment.

Rat Shack sells some, or at least did, at a very reasonable price.

[RWTD]Barbie[GKR]
06-21-2004, 06:04 PM
Running the wire through those raceways looks like a good idea. I think I could paint them to match the trim and they would be fairly undetectable. Thanks for the idea and the info! I can't drill though the floor since it is concrete. :)

[RWTD]Barbie[GKR]
06-21-2004, 06:09 PM
I was just thinking--I wonder if that flat wire is flay enough that I could slip in under the baseboard and ontop of the carpet. What gauge does it come in?

Would 16 gauge work?

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=278-1274

datarush
06-23-2004, 02:25 PM
You can buy baseboard that has a slot for wiring in it. Brand name of course, don't remember the name. I used a slotted raceway that was made to put on top of the baseboard and stick to the wall. Either one works to conceal wire unless a doorway is in the path then you've gotta wrap around/go under it. Flatwire is quite flat if you don't mind pulling up the carpet and remember not to put a point load right on top of it.

piece-it pete
06-24-2004, 07:25 AM
Barbie[GKR]']I was just thinking--I wonder if that flat wire is flay enough that I could slip in under the baseboard and ontop of the carpet. What gauge does it come in?

Would 16 gauge work?

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=278-1274

Hey, if your baseboard runs over your carpet I think it's a great idea! For the rears I think 16 ga would be fine. That Rat Shack product looks EXACTLY like the Monster Superflat wire I purchased a couple of years ago.

Pete

rack04
09-07-2004, 04:40 AM
For someone who doesn't want to pull up the carpet entirely, what is the easiest way to guide and pull flat speaker wire under carpet? Someone mentioned not to have point loads on the wire. I was planning on cutting a 1 inch slit in the carpet behing the entertainment center and running the wire under the carpet to the rear surround speakers. Will this be a problem since the weight of the entertainment center will be on the wire?

Dale M
09-07-2004, 07:11 PM
I've gone under the carpet when it was a last resort only and I used and electrical fish tape, depends on if you have to cross any spots where the carpet was joined and possibly taped down,, the carpet underlay can make it hard to get the wire thro without messing it up,, If possible I would try under the baseboards, its always worked for me and if the baseboards are flat on the inside and not enough space for the wires leave them out at the bottom just enough for the wires to be behind, you will never see this if they are on carpet.
Hope it works
Dale M

FLZapped
09-08-2004, 06:01 AM
Barbie[GKR]']I need to run wires to the rear speakers of my 5.1 speaker system in my new house next month. In the past (in an apartment) I just pulled up the carpet and ran the wires under it. I don't think that is too good for the carpet. Is there a better way? It is a smaller room in a single story house. I don't think I am handy enough to run the wires up through the wall and across the attic.

There have been some good answers here. The idea of poking it under the baseboards is an easy one. There is usually a gap at the bottom of the wall so poking the wire underneath it with a putty knife shouldn't be too difficult. Even regular zip cord should work. However, doors inthe way are a problem! :)

As for flat wire, if you're the DIY type, you can use 28AWG 50 conductor ribbon cable. Just alternate the strands +/-. This works out to between 14 and 15 AWG regular wre.

-Bruce

rack04
09-09-2004, 07:37 AM
Yesterday I aquired a 1000' spool of quality 16 AWG for free, from a neighbor who was eager to get rid of his "junk" before moving. Now that I have plenty of free speaker wire I have some leg room to try different options. The baseboard idea seems the easiest but depending on room layout it might not be feasible.