HDMI questions. And a few other questions [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HDMI questions. And a few other questions

Mike3800
02-02-2019, 06:04 PM
At my house, in the last 7 years, I have had 4 TVs and an Xbox One all have the HDMI ports burned up due to lightening striking somewhere. I believe the cable company's cable is getting struck and that's what is doing it. It has burnt up numerous cable and internet boxes. No other electrical items have ever been affected. I have surge protectors, but I'm not sure if they are good ones. Are there some sort of HDMI surge protectors I can purchase before replacing my TV? What are good surge protectors for the electrical cords to plug into? I'm not sure what other information may be relevant. The TVs were all either LGs or Panasonics. All in different places in the house.

Hopefully, this in an appropriate first post and someone will have an answer or some suggestions.

Thanks
Mike

recoveryone
02-02-2019, 06:35 PM
At my house, in the last 7 years, I have had 4 TVs and an Xbox One all have the HDMI ports burned up due to lightening striking somewhere. I believe the cable company's cable is getting struck and that's what is doing it. It has burnt up numerous cable and internet boxes. No other electrical items have ever been affected. I have surge protectors, but I'm not sure if they are good ones. Are there some sort of HDMI surge protectors I can purchase before replacing my TV? What are good surge protectors for the electrical cords to plug into? I'm not sure what other information may be relevant. The TVs were all either LGs or Panasonics. All in different places in the house.

Hopefully, this in an appropriate first post and someone will have an answer or some suggestions.

Thanks
Mike

What type of surge protection are you using? If its just the home Depot or local thrift store 6 outlet power strip you are not really getting real protection. You would need to step up to APS, Panamax, Furman or something else at this level to get some type of real protection.

Mike3800
02-02-2019, 07:53 PM
What type of surge protection are you using? If its just the home Depot or local thrift store 6 outlet power strip you are not really getting real protection. You would need to step up to APS, Panamax, Furman or something else at this level to get some type of real protection.

I want to get new surge protectors, too. I'm concerned about the HDMI surge protectors because it's just the HDMI ports on the TVs that keep getting damaged. I saw a Belkin surge protector for the outlets. Is that a good one? I found these small HDMI surge protectors that the cable plugs in to and then you plug another cable into the TV. Are those any good? Do they give any indication if the got burnt?

recoveryone
02-02-2019, 08:38 PM
I want to get new surge protectors, too. I'm concerned about the HDMI surge protectors because it's just the HDMI ports on the TVs that keep getting damaged. I saw a Belkin surge protector for the outlets. Is that a good one? I found these small HDMI surge protectors that the cable plugs in to and then you plug another cable into the TV. Are those any good? Do they give any indication if the got burnt?

I haven't seen any HDMI surge protection devices solely for HDMI, but if you are using a cable box that uses RF cable, the brands above would be a good place to start. Those I listed have ports for RF Cable and phones lines some also have RJ45 in & outputs. The purpose of these higher end setups is to shut off the power when it detects a spike/surge.

recoveryone
02-02-2019, 08:43 PM
If you go check out the videos I just posted in the HT section you will see that ever system I have has an power conditioner/protector.

Mike3800
02-02-2019, 09:02 PM
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JFN5SJB/?coliid=I2P6RMDR6M5TGN&colid=3GQS4VW95N5T8&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Those are what I'm talking about. I don't know if they actually do anything. The reason I think it is coming through the cable from my cable provider is that no other electrical device in my house has ever been damaged, regardless of if they are plugged into a surge protector or not.

I also saw these for the coax cable:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07525CLKR/?coliid=I1XYJ3OBH17CYU&colid=3GQS4VW95N5T8&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

We need to replace our main TV because of the HDMI and coax ports being burnt. We are looking at a $2500 TV, but I'm hesitant to buy that if it is going to be useless in the next year or two because of damage to it.

recoveryone
02-03-2019, 10:19 AM
Not to be critical, but I don't see any real math in how they really work other than the label says. Even the positive response only talk about the fit and construction of the item. The only testament of it working said it didn't, so its a 50 50 guess until something happens. I can stand by my products as the manufacture does with warranties, I have not loss any pieces of my gear since adding a power conditioner to each of them. I have been through some power outages (summer), but not a lighting strike and each device worked.

Mike3800
02-03-2019, 12:35 PM
That's why I'm asking on here. I don't know if those work. I would like something that looks a little sturdier. I'm getting tired of replacing TVs every couple of years. I don't want to buy an expensive one for fear of it getting ruined, but I don't want to deal with a cheap TV, either. I was hoping to find something proven to protect the HDMI ports. I don't know a lot about TVs, the cables etc, but everything seems to point to the power surge coming through the cable company's coax cable. Like I said earlier, not a single electronic, besides the HDMI ports on the TVs, Xbox and Cable/internet box have been damaged. After 4 TVs, an xbox one and 5+ cable boxes getting the HDMI ports burnt, that seems like enough evidence to point to where the problem is coming from.