need help in a new home theater [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : need help in a new home theater

rb902
06-20-2004, 09:23 PM
hi all
i really need some help here. i am just building my new apt and need a new home theater. my room is about 400 sq feet and i need the entire works. front, center, surround, sub amp etc. now this room is also going to be an living room so the looks are also imp (but no Bose). Can someone suggest me what is the best option to get. I am not in the US so the best choices I have here are the B&w, Kef, Tannoy, Klipsch, defenetive technology. Dennon, marantz, Yamaha, NAD but if it is something great then I can always import it. Also what cables to use. I would like to mix the speakers of different brands as to get the best sound from the best speaker. Thanks a lot in advance.

rb902
06-20-2004, 09:36 PM
test1

mtrycraft
06-21-2004, 06:55 PM
hi all
i really need some help here. i am just building my new apt and need a new home theater. my room is about 400 sq feet and i need the entire works. front, center, surround, sub amp etc. now this room is also going to be an living room so the looks are also imp (but no Bose). Can someone suggest me what is the best option to get. I am not in the US so the best choices I have here are the B&w, Kef, Tannoy, Klipsch, defenetive technology. Dennon, marantz, Yamaha, NAD but if it is something great then I can always import it. Also what cables to use. I would like to mix the speakers of different brands as to get the best sound from the best speaker. Thanks a lot in advance.

I may not answer all your questions but a few tips:
Don't mix speaker brands, at least stick with the same for the 3 front and the same for the 2 rears. You don't need to keep the same brands for the front and rear but should be the best recommendation to do.
If you can listen to those speakers listed, listen to them with a variety of material, then select th eone you like most.
Then you match your receiver to drive the speakers. Any one of the listed ones will be nice as long as it has the flexibility to meet your listening needs.
Cables are the least of your worries.12 ga to 16 ga for speaker cables with the long runs needing the 12 ga or 14 ga, US. Digital audio needs either the optical or a video cable depending on the receiver's audio capability.
Sub cable can use a video cable too, or an ordinary interconnect. Cost is not an indicator of much in cables except the profits made by the chain.