receiver to fit glass shoe [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : receiver to fit glass shoe

ryan6964
06-20-2004, 07:38 PM
I have a pair of bose 601 series IV speakers and have heard very bad news about how crappy their sound is :mad: . I want to know if anyone out there has a pair of these(bose 601 series IV direct/reflecting), and thinks they are a godsend of beautiful sound. If someone feels like this then PLEASE reply telling me the receiver you have that is powering the speakers( prefer between $800-$900).

ToddB
07-05-2004, 02:39 PM
I've moved your post over to the Speakers section, where you're more likely to get some responses.

topspeed
07-05-2004, 09:52 PM
I have a pair of bose 601 series IV speakers and have heard very bad news about how crappy their sound is :mad: . I want to know if anyone out there has a pair of these(bose 601 series IV direct/reflecting), and thinks they are a godsend of beautiful sound. If someone feels like this then PLEASE reply telling me the receiver you have that is powering the speakers( prefer between $800-$900).The problem is you've "heard very bad news" instead of concentrating on the hearing the music. Who cares what other people think about your speakers? This isn't a flippin' popularity contest. As long as YOU think they sound good, are tappin' you toes, and happy with music they reproduce, you really shouldn't be concerned with the haters.

My advice is to stop reading and start listening. It's about the music, not ego.

goatspeed
07-06-2004, 08:28 AM
I wasn't happy with the sound of my 601's and moved from an older Yamaha to a Yamaha 1400 than an Onkyo TX-NR901. It made the speakers much more musical.

I think perhaps I didn't like the Yamaha sound.

goatspeed
07-06-2004, 08:40 AM
For what it's worth I then sold the Bose system about 5 months after buying the new Onkyo receiver. I wasn't happy *enough* with the sound. It was tolerable, but not for the 1k I spent on the receiver. You can get that receiver now for less.

matt39
07-06-2004, 09:44 AM
Hi Ryan,

Listen to Topspeed, he has it exactly right. It's your opinion that counts, not other people's preferences. I learned that the hard way myself when I gave up speakers I really liked for ones other people thought were better. I didn't get happy again until I learned to trust myself and buy the sound that I liked. I've heard the 601's and they sounded pretty good to me but I ended up buying bookshelf speakers because they fit my room better. As to your actual question, I have two possibilities. I'm assuming you're looking for a stereo receiver since you don't mention home theater. First as a bargain you might try a Harman Kardon. I bought their HK3375 after a lot of looking around and I have been very pleased. They have a pretty good amp section and the tuner is a lot better than I expected. Their cost is somewhat lower than your stated price range but I think that an HK would do a good job for you. My second suggestion is a Rotel RX-1050. These list for 800 and look pretty good. I haven't heard this one yet but prior models by Rotel have sounded very good to me.

Whoops, I forgot one. The Denon DRA-685. This is a great receiver with a lot of features for about 500. They have a very good amp. Hope this helps and remember that your ears are the ones that count.