Updating Fraternity Speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Updating Fraternity Speakers

alexcueto
08-29-2018, 05:48 PM
<style type="text/css"> p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px 'Helvetica Neue'; color: #454545} p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px 'Helvetica Neue'; color: #454545; min-height: 14.0px} </style>Hello everyone,

I live in a fraternity and we’re looking to upgrade the speaker system in the house. we have a strict house core (graduate brothers that manage the house) and won't let us use PA speakers. With that said, we’re looking to upgrade the current in-ceiling speakers in our commons area. we have 3 pairs of Episode ES-700-IC-8 speakers; most of them are blown out. We updated our amplifiers to 3 Crown Audio XLS-1002, and switch to Sonos so all we need are new speakers. We have the ability to add 3 more pairs of speakers in the commons, but we really want speakers that can last without blowing out. It’s been hard to find speakers; my father owns a home automation company, but very rarely works with commercial in-ceiling speakers. He doesn’t really know what to recommend that won’t get destroyed due to the amount of stress we put them through. we think doubling the speakers will help distribute stress over more speakers, but as I said we don’t know what speakers to chose. As of now, we’ve seen 3 speakers that we’ve liked: Klipsch PRO-180RPC In-Ceiling Speakers, Klipsch CTD-5800-C In-Ceiling Speakers, and SnapAV Episode Signature 1700 series In-Ceiling Speakers. Personally, I like the PRO-180RPC because it has a solid peak wattage set at 200w and a sensitivity of 96dB. Although we want quality sound, our main goal is to fill the room with sound; loudness is key without blowing them out. For more information, the diameter of the cutout is 9.75” so we’re looking for 8” speakers. We are also capable of making a slightly bigger hole. Sorry if I lacked some specificity, but if you have any question please ask. I’m open to any recommendations and thank you all for the help!

Best