Sansui SP-300 speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sansui SP-300 speakers

robroy51
04-30-2018, 05:25 AM
I recently scored a pair of Sansui SP-300 speakers. ($250) I was setting them up at home and the first thing I noticed was the balance on my receiver was favoring the left speaker. A little later I had the volume up a little higher and noticed the sounds being emitted were not as clear as I had hoped. They are 50 years old so I know things happen. Yesterday I removed the back covers to get a look at the crossover caps. One cap on the left speaker had been replaced and I noticed one of the coils (forgive my terminology as I am not electronically gifted) was in the air at about a 45 degree angle whereas the other 3 coils were held by a screw in the flat position as originally built. The wires are connected on the airborne coil as required. I was just wondering if that would do any harm in that position or nothing to worry about? I think I will replace all of the caps and try the speakers out again. No signs of any problems with them but they are 50 years old and I previously described my sound issues. I tried to upload a photo of the crossover in question but had a problem. I am new to this forum and will have to learn about photos. Thanks in advance.

pliskin
11-16-2018, 10:41 AM
Hey, I to scored a pair of these ($30 at goodwill). I haven't been able to find much about them on the web accept for your post here. In fact I think this and maybe one other site. I don't think the position of the coil will do any harm unless it's shorting against something.

Ooops, I just noticed you are talking about SP-300's. Mine are AS-300. I did a search and they are different that yours. Still, nothing out there on the AS-300's. Every see them?

Thanks

petercalms
01-13-2019, 08:53 AM
These speakers consist of a 4-way crossover that consists of a 2" horn super tweeter, 2, 2" cone tweeters, a 6.5" cone midrange driver and a 2.5x6" horn midrange driver and a 15" cone woofer in a ported tube enclosure.

The crossovers consist of 2 L pads, one for the midrange, and one for the treble, each with 3 positions. Clear, natural and soft and are used in conjunction to your room and how its treated (fully carpeted and plush furnishings or lots of hard surfaces or somewhere in the middle).

This same thing can be found with the SP-1700's I recapped in the fall of 2015 though they were all cone drivers and a more traditional 3-way design, and both used the 2.2 and 3.3uf values as the only thing that is the same. The 10uf was only found in the SP-1700's, the 2 15uf values in the 3000's being the main differences between the two as far as the caps go that I know of, you can find more info here: https://www.audioreputation.com/best-home-theater-speakers/