set up? denon 2900 dvd [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : set up? denon 2900 dvd

Fargo
06-20-2004, 07:23 AM
Anyone familiar with this unit? I can't hear any test tones when trying to set them on the players setup section. It's connected to a Denon 4802 rec via optical cable. I've sent for a Chesky set up disc, maybe something has to be playing to hear the tones. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

eqm
06-20-2004, 07:45 AM
Anyone familiar with this unit? I can't hear any test tones when trying to set them on the players setup section. It's connected to a Denon 4802 rec via optical cable. I've sent for a Chesky set up disc, maybe something has to be playing to hear the tones. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You'll need to hook up 3 sets of right/left audio cables from the "multi-channel output" on the back of your 2900 into the "multi-channel inputs" on the back of the 4802. The test tones are only for SACD and DVD-A, possibly for CD, so if you are not listening to these you will not need this setup step until you are ready to use these. Did your salesperson not give you a wiring diagram and/or set up tips?

Fargo
06-20-2004, 08:13 AM
You'll need to hook up 3 sets of right/left audio cables from the "multi-channel output" on the back of your 2900 into the "multi-channel inputs" on the back of the 4802. The test tones are only for SACD and DVD-A, possibly for CD, so if you are not listening to these you will not need this setup step until you are ready to use these. Did your salesperson not give you a wiring diagram and/or set up tips?

So you are telling me it's ok to have the optical cable connected and the 3 sets of right/left audio cables, the player will select which output to use depending on disc in the player. I did hook up the audio cables yesterday but I'm sure I had the wrong setting on my amp. Thanks

eqm
06-20-2004, 09:54 AM
So you are telling me it's ok to have the optical cable connected and the 3 sets of right/left audio cables, the player will select which output to use depending on disc in the player. I did hook up the audio cables yesterday but I'm sure I had the wrong setting on my amp. Thanks

the dvd player will have both the 5.1 analog and the optical outputs active on everything but SACD and DVD-A, but you'll need to do the switching on the 4802 receiver (i.e., the "mode" button for the automatic detection of the dolby digital and dts streams vs. the "ext in" button to switch the receiver to the analog inputs)...but once again, if you're not listening to SACD or DVD-A, there is no reason to do this setup as of yet, as it will have no effect on the dvd player if you're using an optical out.

Fargo
06-21-2004, 03:30 AM
Thanks - you are a great help